Upgrading my brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, there are those that have had problems with CHEAP rotors cracking at times. But I have yet to have anyone have issues with the R1Concepts rotors cracking. Cracking comes from excessive heat as well as poor cross drilling design. Just about ALL rotors are now "Veined" or vented for cooling, but if the company that is drilling them is not careful their drill bits machining will damage the veins between the rotor halves. R1Concepts pays special attention to this issue by making sure that ALL of the drill holes are between the veins to ensure against cracking.

It must also be stated that you have to consider not only the source of the cracking complaint, but also the regular maintenance of the entire braking system as a whole. There are those folks that will install expensive drilled and slotted rotors with some good pads, but never take the time to flush the brake fluid, power steering fluid (in hydroboost equipped vehicles), install new caliper hardware (that comes with the pads), grease the caliper guide pins, etc, etc. there is a lot more to upgrading your brakes than simply installing upgraded rotors and pads.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

Also, the R1Concepts Premium rotors come with a military grade E coating for corrosion resistance. They actually look GREAT behind larger rims and will continue to do so for a long time. No more rusted hubs...

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
Ssbc makes caliper relocation brackets that come with 14" slotted rotors for 600 for the front and 600 for the back.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I offer SSBC as well at a 15% discount off of retail if that is the route you choose. But I would personally put the R1Concepts up against them any day.

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
I offer SSBC as well at a 15% discount off of retail if that is the route you choose. But I would personally put the R1Concepts up against them any day.

The r1 concepts stock size rotors are better than the ssbc 14" kits?

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The r1 concepts stock size rotors are better than the ssbc 14" kits?

Larger rotors only offer more surface area, unless you upgrade that kit to their Big Bite Slotted rotors, the rotors that come with that kit are no more than regular rotors that have been slotted, drilled or whatever you ask for. More surface area does not add up to better braking by themselves. The pads that come with their kits are also regular pads that you can pick up at any local parts store for cheap unless you specifically upgrade to their big bite pads. In the end, you are getting nothing much more than larger diameter rotors, that's it, unless you spend the extra $100 to upgrade to the Big Bite rotors and an extra $50 or so for their Big Bite pads.

Are the R1concepts stock size rotors BETTER? IMHO, for the turn key option of better braking performance, better longevity along with a budget friendly price; yes, that amounts to being better in my opinion. If I did not truly believe this I would be promoting them more than I do. I promote the R1Concepts products because of the results that I have personally seen in combination with the absolutely great reviews from the multitude of customers that have ordered them from me.

OP
OP
CHOO CHOO

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Larger rotors only offer more surface area, unless you upgrade that kit to their Big Bite Slotted rotors, the rotors that come with that kit are no more than regular rotors that have been slotted, drilled or whatever you ask for. More surface area does not add up to better braking by themselves. The pads that come with their kits are also regular pads that you can pick up at any local parts store for cheap unless you specifically upgrade to their big bite pads. In the end, you are getting nothing much more than larger diameter rotors, that's it, unless you spend the extra $100 to upgrade to the Big Bite rotors and an extra $50 or so for their Big Bite pads.

Are the R1concepts stock size rotors BETTER? IMHO, for the turn key option of better braking performance, better longevity along with a budget friendly price; yes, that amounts to being better in my opinion. If I did not truly believe this I would be promoting them more than I do. I promote the R1Concepts products because of the results that I have personally seen in combination with the absolutely great reviews from the multitude of customers that have ordered them from me.

Well sir, looks like we will be chatting for a bit after i get off work today!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well sir, looks like we will be chatting for a bit after i get off work today!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds good, I will be available...

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

One other thing I feel I should add just in case it crosses anybody's mind. I make less from selling the R1Concepts than I do if I sell the SSBC. So please don't feel I am trying to sell the R1Concepts just to make more money. I actually make less on the sale of their products. Just thought I would throw that out there...

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had to choose between them, Baer. But that is only based on reputation alone. Although I also have them available, I am NOT well versed in the Baer products and cannot provide an honest assessment of the difference in quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greygranny