Updated Thermal Control Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to do this on my 8l90. Does the kit come with new cooler line o-rings? I have the plate and bolt style thermostat.

If not, Anton elbow tha part number on those 2 o-rings? I was not able to search those on GM Parts Direct or other sites with the expanded parts diagrams.

Thanks!

Rygrego

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to do this on my 8l90. Does the kit come with new cooler line o-rings? I have the plate and bolt style thermostat.

If not, Anton elbow tha part number on those 2 o-rings? I was not able to search those on GM Parts Direct or other sites with the expanded parts diagrams.

Thanks!
You should be able to reuse the O-rings, I did with no problems.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but after 100k miles and 7 years I would think they are a lil deformed.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I would increase our knowledge base by closing this out. I did purchase the 86774933 for my truck. Mounts to the transmission fine, but body of the unit has a slightly different angle where the lines mate with the unit, and it did not want to seal properly. My solution was to swap the new thermostat into the old housing.

Brad I think what happened in your case is you mistakenly bought the valve for the 6-speed when you have the 8-speed tranny. You need part #13511137, and that would explain why your lines didn't match up just right. It's weird though, there is no mention of the 8-speeds in the TSB. But if you look up the valves in the GM parts database, there's a clear distinction between the 6 and 8 speed valve.

Just my theory. I'm seeing numerous part numbers listed for the thermal bypass valve depending on application, but the 86774933 seems to be the right one for 6-speed equipped 1/2 ton trucks 2016-2018 (which all have steel cooler lines).

2019-2021 trucks have aluminum cooler lines. The correct part number for the updated valve is 85563685, again for 6-speed (MYC, MYD) equipped trucks only.

The correct "seal" or gasket thing is 23135703 across all applications.

The 2015 and older trucks use the quick release style lines and aren't even mentioned in the TSB. I'm not sure what you guys do.

I don't know. Seems the problem doesn't affect the 8-speeds, or at least GM doesn't think it does.

Tall56Dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Question for the guys that have done this. I replaced the stock Trans thermal valve with the new GM part #85563685 valve about a month ago on my 2020 Tahoe with the 6L80E.

I think it takes longer for the trans to get hot, but it still gets to around 195 degrees sometimes.

I was thinking that the updated valve would not allow the trans to get that hot seeing as it is set to open around 150 degrees.

The more I think about it though, even though the new valve is set to open at a lower temp, the trans can still get much hotter depending on the ambient air temp, and how hard the trans is working.

My question is, for the guys that have made the switch, are you noticing the same thing, or does your trans temp stay at about 150 degrees all the time?

Just trying to figure out if this is normal, or if maybe the new GM valve I bought is defective?

Thanks

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2015 Tahoe LS stays around 70 deg.C=158F. If it gets hotter than that the valve would be wide open and you may need a larger ext Trans.cooler.

Rygrego

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for the guys that have done this. I replaced the stock Trans thermal valve with the new GM part #85563685 valve about a month ago on my 2020 Tahoe with the 6L80E.

I think it takes longer for the trans to get hot, but it still gets to around 195 degrees sometimes.

I was thinking that the updated valve would not allow the trans to get that hot seeing as it is set to open around 150 degrees.

The more I think about it though, even though the new valve is set to open at a lower temp, the trans can still get much hotter depending on the ambient air temp, and how hard the trans is working.

My question is, for the guys that have made the switch, are you noticing the same thing, or does your trans temp stay at about 150 degrees all the time?

Just trying to figure out if this is normal, or if maybe the new GM valve I bought is defective?

Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2