Uneven Tire Wear (Alignment Needed?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MaizeNBlue98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think you are over analyzing it, if the alignment technician finds anything out of spec they will tell you, for instance if they cannot get the alignment within spec there could be a worn tie rod, etc, plenty of reasons to be needing a alignment like pot holes, hitting a curb, minor accident, etc

Over analyze...LOL. I tend to do that. Appreciate the advice. Time for a alignment.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is a 4-wheel alignment performed on a vehicle with no adjustment provisions to the rear axle?

Unless that's what they're calling a thrust angle alignment.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Exactly right. I find it interesting that there’s no guarantee that both rear wheels are pointed straight ahead.

Now that I think of it there’s been times when I see a truck driving down the road and I swear it seems like it’s driving crooked. Must be because the thrust line is way off.

For anyone’s information to follow along...
Wheel Alignment FAQ  Frequently Asked Questions - Les Schwab.png

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need an alignment. The alignment sags after it leaves the factory and a proper alignment (meaning all things adjusted to center-of-spec even if "green") should be performed in the first few thousand miles and then it should be checked once a year or 12k miles after that. I'd bet you have something like -0.7 to -1.0 degrees of camber and the toe is out. Also, 12k miles is far too long on a rotation, it should be done every 5-6k miles tops. The Bridgestones are bad about wearing funny if you don't rotate enough or have a good alignment.

Sounds like the dealer wants to sell new tires. Go to a different shop and see. I’m no help on 4 wheel alignment. Sorry.

How do you figure? He said they recommended an alignment, not tires.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly right. I find it interesting that there’s no guarantee that both rear wheels are pointed straight ahead.

Now that I think of it there’s been times when I see a truck driving down the road and I swear it seems like it’s driving crooked. Must be because the thrust line is way off.

For anyone’s information to follow along...
View attachment 264341

Those trucks that are "crabbing" down the road may have been heavily damaged before and the frame could be tweaked. I've seen it with cars, too.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd bet on a slight alignment issue that has manifested itself over the 25K miles on your rig. I just put on new tires at 19K miles and had the alignment checked - found right front was slightly out of toe spec.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@MaizeNBlue98, are you a rather big guy? Although it's usually with compact cars and trucks, I've seen where larger people cycle the suspension enough to make it ride too far out of spec, and mostly on the driver side. Having the vehicle aligned with them in the driver seat resolves this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz