Uneven Tire Wear (Alignment Needed?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaizeNBlue98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered, but could not find anything via search. I have a 2018 Yukon Denali (22" OEM Bridgestone tires). I have 25K miles with tires rotated right around 12K miles. In inspecting my tires, I have noticed uneven wear on very outside tread of my front driver side tire. I took it to the dealership and they said they didn't see any issue that would cause this. Tech said this is "common" with the Bridgestones, but then suggested I pay for a 4 wheel alignment just as part of regularly schedule maintenance.

Seemed odd they didn't think anything was wrong and causing the uneven tire wear, but then suggested as a precautionary measure (due to miles NOT due to the tire wear) that I get an alignment. Happy to pay for the alignment if it's part of the problem or "good maintenance practice".

So two questions if this forum could help me out:

1. What could be causing this uneven tire wear?
2. Regardless of the tire wear cause, is there a need to have a 4 wheel alignment as part of a regular 25K mile maintenance program.

As always you guys are great and thanks in advanceIMG_3748.jpg IMG_3747.jpg

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the dealer wants to sell new tires. Go to a different shop and see. I’m no help on 4 wheel alignment. Sorry.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
How’s the inside tire tread look like? The same as the outside? If so, then they’ve been under inflated.

The camber might be too positive and they would need to adjust that to a neutral camber.

OP
OP
M

MaizeNBlue98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

From the picture it definitely looks like I have positive camber on the front. The passenger side has similar wear, but much less significant. Is there a reason this would come out of alignment with just 25K on the odo? Or could it have just been bad from the factory and I'm really just noticing it?

Either way, looks like an alignment is needed. Is there something I should have them look at to see if there is a part causing this? Or just align the front rotate the tires and keep a closer eye on the wear pattern?

Thanks!

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I personally don’t think you need to add a 4 wheel alignment into a scheduled service. My 160K ‘07 never had one and no sign of uneven tire wear. But...maybe someone will chime in saying otherwise.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Hit any big potholes lately? Things probably just loosened up a bit and an alignment should fix it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are over analyzing it, if the alignment technician finds anything out of spec they will tell you, for instance if they cannot get the alignment within spec there could be a worn tie rod, etc, plenty of reasons to be needing a alignment like pot holes, hitting a curb, minor accident, etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900