Is This Tire Wear Normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The center picture started it's life on the R/F and is now on the L/R.

The top and bottom pics is the R/R moved to the L/F.

And when I first mounted them I used 32 psi per the tire label on the door jamb and I hated it. They looked like saggy balls sack tire bulge. So I bumped them up to 34-35 and much more content.

These are about a year and a half old. I purposely wanted a cheap tire to beat the crap out of because I have been tinkering with some suspension drop and alignment projects so I knew I would get some fast wear until I get things more dialed in and finalized.

But overall they have been a very good tire and worth every penny. I'm really surprised how well they ride and handle in all conditions so far.
Believe me I am talking absolutely no crap about your tires at all. I just assumed that the ones with the outer edge wear were formerly one of your front tires just like mine.

Next time I would be inclined to give them a try considering the tread pattern looks identical! When I bought my tires I searched all of the local big sellers, Walmart, Discount Tire, Tire Barn, and Costco where I have a membership. CostCo provided the best deal and also had a sale running at the time. I don't have a proper tire machine nor a balancing machine. In 18 years of driving I have never gone to a shop for anything other than tire repairs, tire mounting, and tire balancing. I take that back - I think my Father paid for my first ever oil change when I was 16, so I'll never be able to live that down! My total was $900 something something something. I also like to run higher than the door pressure regardless of vehicle, and my preference is 35 PSI throughout the board. My Mother had a 2003 Toyota Camry and I believe the OEM recommended pressure was 28 or 29 PSI if you can believe that, which is the lowest recommended pressure I had ever seen.

When I was young in my early teens I was helping my Grandmother, I filled her tires to the tire pressure listed on the sidewall. My Uncle corrected me after that, hah! Although with that being said, my Grandmother could have towed anything and wouldn't have had a blowout I suppose!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The center picture started it's life on the R/F and is now on the L/R.

The top and bottom pics is the R/R moved to the L/F.

And when I first mounted them I used 32 psi per the tire label on the door jamb and I hated it. They looked like saggy balls sack tire bulge. So I bumped them up to 34-35 and much more content.

These are about a year and a half old. I purposely wanted a cheap tire to beat the crap out of because I have been tinkering with some suspension drop and alignment projects so I knew I would get some fast wear until I get things more dialed in and finalized.

But overall they have been a very good tire and worth every penny. I'm really surprised how well they ride and handle in all conditions so far.
Look about down to the wear bars, how many miles in that time?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe me I am talking absolutely no crap about your tires at all. I just assumed that the ones with the outer edge wear were formerly one of your front tires just like mine.

Next time I would be inclined to give them a try considering the tread pattern looks identical! When I bought my tires I searched all of the local big sellers, Walmart, Discount Tire, Tire Barn, and Costco where I have a membership. CostCo provided the best deal and also had a sale running at the time. I don't have a proper tire machine nor a balancing machine. In 18 years of driving I have never gone to a shop for anything other than tire repairs, tire mounting, and tire balancing. I take that back - I think my Father paid for my first ever oil change when I was 16, so I'll never be able to live that down! My total was $900 something something something. I also like to run higher than the door pressure regardless of vehicle, and my preference is 35 PSI throughout the board. My Mother had a 2003 Toyota Camry and I believe the OEM recommended pressure was 28 or 29 PSI if you can believe that, which is the lowest recommended pressure I had ever seen.

When I was young in my early teens I was helping my Grandmother, I filled her tires to the tire pressure listed on the sidewall. My Uncle corrected me after that, hah! Although with that being said, my Grandmother could have towed anything and wouldn't have had a blowout I suppose!
I used to run 26 psi in my old Buick's rear tires. Was still very stable until the 140s. Kept the fronts at 36 for less rolling resistance. Most of the tire wound up on the rear quarters anyway! ;)

morriskb

Reaction score
My experience has been that if you have full lock turns on a rougher surface such as asphalt, you will get that type of wear. I have the OEM spec Bridgestones on my truck and even with that increased wear due to the pressure on the outer treads that I was able to safely get over the 65k mile expectation of my last set of tires. Seems like pulling in/out of my garage is what’s putting the most pressure on the edges.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue. This product from Dirt King helped me out alot.

What do they do compared to the factory ones?

I think I am running out of space in the frame slot and it needs to be ground longer as @iamdub mentioned somewhere in here. I am hoping to get a set of drop spindles so I can flip the struts back on top of the LCA's and hopefully get some better factory adjustments before I go grinding away pieces of frame.

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think I am running out of space in the frame slot and it needs to be ground longer as @iamdub mentioned somewhere in here. I am hoping to get a set of drop spindles so I can flip the struts back on top of the LCA's and hopefully get some better factory adjustments before I go grinding away pieces of frame.
How much lift do you have?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They lock the position in place. So even when torqued to 140 ft lbs, they can still move over a heavy bump or jumping train tracks and such. With these, it will take many more times of force to get them to move, by breaking the pin.

Harder to set the alignment but once set, it stays.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They lock the position in place. So even when torqued to 140 ft lbs, they can still move over a heavy bump or jumping train tracks and such. With these, it will take many more times of force to get them to move, by breaking the pin.

Harder to set the alignment but once set, it stays.

Oh I understand that part of it. I thought the poster was referring they would help with providing a larger range of adjustment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastline22