Uneven brake pad wear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rig is a 1998 2 door 4wd with about 250k on the clock. Last time I did a front brake job was in August 2010 and about 57,000 miles ago. I used Baer drilled and slotted rotors and the Hawk green box LTS pads. There is significant uneven brake pad wear between the inner and outer pad. As seen in the picture the caliper side has lots of pad left. The other/outer side, not so much. Is this normal?

Attachments

• DSC00002.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 13

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the caliper and slides aren't clean and lubed properly, you will have one side sticking and cause uneven pad wear.

sbubbaklein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uneven brake wear

looks like the caliper is not sliding properly. Did you lubricate the slide pins when you worked on the brakes previously. Take a good look at the pins and insure they were properly lubricated and have no unusual wear that might prevent the caliper from floating properly.

OP
OP
W

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't aware that these pins needed service. I'm sure they need it. I tried to install new pads this past weekend and couldn't get the calipers back on with the new pads. Kinda makes sense now. I thought it might be the extra thickness of the new Hawk SD pads. I'll break it all down again and clean and lube up everything and see how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts