New front brake and rotor squeal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jdwood1111

Reaction score
you could try some semi metallic pads instead of ceramic, that would be the most economical thing I think. I drive like a mad man so I wear out pads quicker than 99% of people and ceramic last me the longest but good semi-metallic (heavy-duty) pads are a close 2nd choice for me.
just an idea, "noise" results are unknown I think it's a 50/50 chance. there is a possibility it could be something else.
Yea I don’t understand what else it could be. Unless my break in procedure glazed the pads? I need to get the tired balanced so I guess I’ll have them take a look. I could try and use sand paper and rough up the pads and rotor? They are new though so I don’t get it.

OP
OP
J

jdwood1111

Reaction score
Ever since I hit the back side of the caliper, caliper ears on the ends and caliper piston with the supplied or part store caliper grease, they’re silent.

The only other time I’ve had issues is swapping a set of pads and did not reinstall the stainless steel anti-rattle clips on the brake pad’s ears. Brotha, it didn’t make it a block before I knew they had to be on there.

View attachment 408724
I installed new clips that came with the pads.

Hodgeee

Reaction score
Sometimes regardless of brand, you will get a pad that squeals when the pad composition is not just right, not oscilation squeal. But it does sound like the piston or pistons is possibly sticking, but that is usually associated with constant squeal, not when just btakimg. The burnt metal smell is normal for a couple drive cycles. Also some times youll get a new rotor that wil have a dense section, but after breaking in the new rotor, it will show with a blue or purplish color from a hot spot. These are all pretty rare. Make sure to lightly also apply grease to the anti rattle clips along the sliding edge of the pads. Try permatex extreme lube and put it on a little heavy, and double check the friction pad is still attached. Make sure the anti squeal pad is the coated, or aluminum type. You can buy online self adhesive backing plates that you cut to size, and try swapping them .

OP
OP
J

jdwood1111

Reaction score
We’ll now I’m stumped. I drove the trucks two days and they seemed ok but then once I drove it and they got used more and got hotter, they squeal like crazy. So I took it to a Midas that get great reviews because I needed the tires rebalance and rotated and he said I had the pads in the wrong way against the stainless steel spring clips. However I’m pretty sure I did it right the first time. He sanded the pads down and reinstalled. I drove down the road and it was quiet for the first few stops but again, once they got hot they started squealing again. I’m at a loss. Do I try and reach out to Rock Auto and exchange the pads? I followed their bed in procedures but maybe heated them up too much? Do you think the rotors are ok?

Last edited:

Hodgeee

Reaction score
You should be able to see if there is any spotting by color on the rotors, should be fine. They will usually warp before they get a hot spot, thats when you try resurfacing or reusing a rotor. I always put on new ones whenever I do the brakes. These are big heavy trucks, and I see poeple constantly having warpage, and almost always told they kept the rotors when they did their brakes, especially in Vegas heat. I think its just a bad set of pads, and the composition was too metalic or something. You wouldnt think that ceramic pads would do this, but it happens more often than you think, and I know ive, done at least a thousand brake jobs in my time on almost every car out there.

Do you have any pulsation problems?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ll now I’m stumped. I drove the trucks two days and they seemed ok but then once I drove it and they got used more and got hotter, they squeal like crazy. So I took it to a Midas that get great reviews because I needed the tires rebalance and rotated and he said I had the pads in the wrong way against the stainless steel spring clips. However I’m pretty sure I did it right the first time. He sanded the pads down and reinstalled. I drove down the road and it was quiet for the first few stops but again, once they got hot they started squealing again. I’m at a loss. Do I try and reach out to Rock Auto and exchange the pads? I followed their bed in procedures but maybe heated them up too much? Do you think the rotors are ok?
I am stumped as well myself so I don't know I would just go ahead and maybe try some semi metallic pads, my Baer brakes squeal intermittently I put some grease on the pads and they still do it, previous set of pads did the same thing (ceramic), Same scenario I went and had the rotors turned, new pads all nice and quiet for a couple days then back to making noise.
so I think next time around I will try some police or tow pads again. the semi-metallics only last me maybe a year, the ceramics last me about a year and half

Hodgeee

Reaction score
Yeah sucks, some vehicles are more prone than others. But its odd that it just started with you. Also putting on the squeelers backwards hurts nothing, just less likely to squeel, but thats super rare. The squeeler should face the direction of spin and be on the outboard side. I think the shop took advantage if they said thats the problem.

Hodgeee

Reaction score
Honestly ive run into this before and just bought all new stuff and redid it. I also recommend all AcDelco parts. On Amazon, same as local cost of aftermarket parts. Plus the calipers are usually good for the life. Only replace the parts if the rubber seals get a hole in them or completely dry out. Ive done vehicles with 500,000 miles, original calipers hoses and rubber. Never sean a seal leak unless it was really old, damaged, or popped out cause someone drove with squeeling brakes and wore off the face of the rotor and backing plate.

OP
OP
J

jdwood1111

Reaction score
Well late update but I ended up buying all new pads and rotors and swapped them a couple of months ago with no ill effects or noise, until this weekend. Now they are starting to produce a burning smell when used a bunch. I was trying to heat up the trans to complete a trans adapt reset (mentioned in my other thread which was unsuccessful) and I smell burning brake from both fronts. Maybe a little more on the driver side. No noise at all just a burning smell. The calipers seem as do the brake lines but would that be the next item to try and replace?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well late update but I ended up buying all new pads and rotors and swapped them a couple of months ago with no ill effects or noise, until this weekend. Now they are starting to produce a burning smell when used a bunch. I was trying to heat up the trans to complete a trans adapt reset (mentioned in my other thread which was unsuccessful) and I smell burning brake from both fronts. Maybe a little more on the driver side. No noise at all just a burning smell. The calipers seem as do the brake lines but would that be the next item to try and replace?
that's what happens when you heat up brakes, they smell and sometimes smoke (as me how i know lol)
trans adapt reset/relearn happens over about 50 miles of driving no matter if you are driving fast or slow, probably better to drive normal while it does it's thing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts