Dragging front brake even after replaced the caliper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomH91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m at my wits end with the brakes on my 2009 Yukon XL. A few weeks back I put on new Hawk pads and Stop Tech slotted rotors. The truck stops great and I love the improvement in stopping power and feel. It also stops true, no pulling to one side at all. But…the driver’s side front brake drags. The left wheel gets a good coat of brake dust after a week or so.

When I did the brakes I greased the slide pins, brake pad ears, and the pad clips. When I noticed the drag, I took everything apart and re-greased it all. But it still dragged so I put on a reman caliper. It still dragged. So I took the passenger side apart again to make sure I hadn’t over-greased the slide pin or greased the tip of the pin, keeping the right side brake form applying as hard as the left. The left caliper still drags.

The truck stops and tracks straight. But I confirmed it’s still dragging with an infrared thermometer in addition to observing the amount of brake dust.

Should I try replacing the brake hose? I hate to throw in the towel and pay a shop for something that should be DIY-able. What have I missed?

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I’m at my wits end with the brakes on my 2009 Yukon XL. A few weeks back I put on new Hawk pads and Stop Tech slotted rotors. The truck stops great and I love the improvement in stopping power and feel. It also stops true, no pulling to one side at all. But…the driver’s side front brake drags. The left wheel gets a good coat of brake dust after a week or so.

When I did the brakes I greased the slide pins, brake pad ears, and the pad clips. When I noticed the drag, I took everything apart and re-greased it all. But it still dragged so I put on a reman caliper. It still dragged. So I took the passenger side apart again to make sure I hadn’t over-greased the slide pin or greased the tip of the pin, keeping the right side brake form applying as hard as the left. The left caliper still drags.

The truck stops and tracks straight. But I confirmed it’s still dragging with an infrared thermometer in addition to observing the amount of brake dust.

Should I try replacing the brake hose? I hate to throw in the towel and pay a shop for something that should be DIY-able. What have I missed?
Sounds crazy but I have had two cars where the brake hose deteriorated on the inside, swelled, and caused brake dragging. If you replace, replace both sides.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with replacing the brake hose, also make sure that the new caliper has the bleeder above where the brake hose attaches. Sometimes the parts store will give you the wrong side caliper and it will fit to install but you'll never get it to bleed right.

Prepare for more brake bleeding posts lol

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Adding the ++replace the hose.

Last vehicle that this happened with (07 Jeep Wrangler), I also went for a caliper seal kit (rebuild kit) due to unknown history stuff.
+ when doing the pads I saw signs of some brake fluid coming from the caliper dust boot when bleeding the air out of it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10