U joints went out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not sure i was so pissed i didnt really look where it came from. My buddy picked up a piece of the explosion and exclaimed, "theres plastic in there?"

Yeah some of the older style U-Joints used injected plastic to hold the caps in place instead of metal clips. When you heated them up to melt them sometimes they would make a mess.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats not the plastic i saw. Tried to heat mine up and nothing came out, im not sure if it had been done before or the injected plastic was so old dried up and dead that it just wasnt in there. I saw some once i pushed the bearings out but not like you would expect.

Anyway went in smooth this time and shes running beautifully! I think the u joints had been a undiagnosed problem for some time.

Now back to my to do list. Fix steering, door sag, new spider injector

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats not the plastic i saw. Tried to heat mine up and nothing came out, im not sure if it had been done before or the injected plastic was so old dried up and dead that it just wasnt in there. I saw some once i pushed the bearings out but not like you would expect.

Anyway went in smooth this time and shes running beautifully! I think the u joints had been a undiagnosed problem for some time.

Good job.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Let us know if you ever fix that sag issue beyond new pins/rollers. I’m almost to the point of fabbing a 3rd hinge.

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score
Let us know if you ever fix that sag issue beyond new pins/rollers. I’m almost to the point of fabbing a 3rd hinge.

They have new hinges you can buy. I'm going to try changing doors. If that doesn't work, then I'm going to the door route. You do have to drill out the body side. One of the guys posted some great diagrams/workflows for it on my door hinge thread in exterior or interior forum.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do, i still have some play in my bushings, that will be adressed first the im going to try to use one of those lifters to bend it up slightly. Once i get it up where it should be (haha) i'll find out if the latching mechanism needs to be replaced too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645