U joints went out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pressing on the last one the cap exploded, don't use a socket!

View attachment 237985

I’ve used sockets my whole life. Never ever saw something like that happen. But I always used a hammer. Never had a press. If it didn’t seat properly I could feel it and stop before damage like that happens.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picking up a new joint tomorrow. At lease now i get 4 more tries to put a cap on lol. It was of course the last one i had to do, all the others went fine and i was about .05" from being able to get the c-clip on. Typical

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picking up a new joint tomorrow. At lease now i get 4 more tries to put a cap on lol. It was of course the last one i had to do, all the others went fine and i was about .05" from being able to get the c-clip on. Typical

Yep, been there many times as well.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh you mean plastic from the originals in place of the snap rings? Yeah that is a ***** to deal with.
Im not sure i was so pissed i didnt really look where it came from. My buddy picked up a piece of the explosion and exclaimed, "theres plastic in there?"

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i pulled off the old caps there was nothing but rust dust that fell out, no grease at all. Makes you wonder what else is lurking, i cant believe these didnt totally fail already.