Trying to figure out if my pulley bearing are going

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I noticed my Tahoe making a new noise. It sounds like it is coming from the belt area. Sounds almost as if one of the bearings is going. Is there a technique on how to figure out where that noise is coming from? I attached a video to give you an idea of the noise it makes.

Video to sound

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I noticed my Tahoe making a new noise. It sounds like it is coming from the belt area. Sounds almost as if one of the bearings is going. Is there a technique on how to figure out where that noise is coming from? I attached a video to give you an idea of the noise it makes.

Video to sound
Get a mechanics stethoscope and see where the sound is coming from. Just be careful when sticking it around the moving pulleys and belt.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Wade said. I've been able to find which component was making the noise by pressing the tip of the stethoscope to the body of the alternator, power steering pump, water pump, etc.

After you think you have it narrowed down, remove the belt and spin the suspected accessory by hand. Just know that it's common for the offending part to not make any noises with the lateral load removed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2