Trouble removing front differential fill plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks:

I've posted about my noisy front differential and got good feedback about diagnosing it. One idea is to pull the drain plug and see if I have metal shavings. Well, last fluid change I could NOT get the fill plug out of the diff. I stripped it rather bad and eventually just filled it via the drain plug and a pump hose. Messy and not accurate.

Anyway, I want to remove this blasted rusted or frozen plug so I can see what my oil level is and refill after I drain and inspect the magnet. Issue is, it is really frozen. Let me tell you what I've tried and please give me some feedback on what more I should do.

1) Sprayed it with PB Blaster (or equivalent) solution and let it soak for a day.
2) Bought a reversed thread bolt remover kit. Works GREAT. It takes a solid purchase and no more slipping.
3) Put a breaker bar on there and pushed--until I broke my breaker bar at the head. Yeah, it wasn't a Snpap-on (Harbor Freight crap). So it's gone.
4) Remove the vent tube and put it out of the way.
5) Took to some heat and pneumatic impact wrench I used to remove lug nuts. Heated the outside of the area around the bolt--tried to avoid the bolt--to what I measured as about only 200 degrees. I have a laser temp device so I'm sure I was about that hot.
6) Put on the impact wrench on again and had run for at least 15 seconds.....NOTHING.

To my question: Do I heat only the surrounding area and NOT the bolt its self? I's a very large bolt with a wide area of threads. I assume I need the heat the case to expand the diff threads so they enlarge while the fill plug threads stay cold and thus smaller. If so, that's rather hard......flames are not exactly easy to control.

Also, how hot would you guys think I need to get this to have it finally break free? If it needs to glow read, I should probably drain it first as I think the oil inside is dissipating the heat away from the case.

Like I said, I can apply whatever force I need as the reverse thread bolt is digging in deep. plug.JPG

Thoughts?

TKH

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turn it the other way you are tightening it also use metric ONLY

and NOT a cheat tool like a crescent wrench

OP
OP
M

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turn it the other way you are tightening it also use metric ONLY

and NOT a cheat tool like a crescent wrench

Are you telling me this has reversed threads? What?

OP
OP
M

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think so. I bought a new replacement plug cause I stripped this one badly....I have the new one in my hand. I've confirmed the replacement has normal "Lefty loosey and righty tighty" threads.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think so. I bought a new replacement plug cause I stripped this one badly....I have the new one in my hand. I've confirmed the replacement has normal "Lefty loosey and righty tighty" threads.
The plug has normal threads, so yes, righty tighty/lefty loosey.
I had this same issue before. I took a drill and made a small dimple in the plug, out close to the edge, and then I took a punch and held it at an angle so that it was pointing in the direction the plug needed to turn and hit it with a hammer. That lets you apply an impact type force out close to where the threads are.

Last edited:

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go to a metal fab shop and have them weld a real nut on there. specify it has to be welded slowly so they dont burn the diff fluid you do have in there. once there is something with some actual meat on there get yourself a real breaker bar or wrench to match the welded nut and get it off.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can heat the bolt and the case is fine.. Sometimes just heating where the
threads engage will get them to loosen up after they cool down.
I know it sounds wrong, but just the heat sometimes will break the "seal" that
corrosion or whatever is hanging on to. You are going to have to buy
a new plug anyway.. make sure to use a little teflon paste on the new one.
It will seal it and the teflon will prevent it from seizing. Just go snug

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat the bolt as hot as you dare, let it cool till you can touch it with your bare hands now it will remove easily. The physics is, the bolt expands with heat , has nowhere to go so it stretches the hole ( makes it larger)the when you let it cool it will turn, since it is loose and any goop anyone used to seal it has been burnt out.

swat2380

Reaction score
I am in the same boat my fill plug will not budge. Used all the normal removal methods with no luck and mine is not rusty. Said screw it and used the gear oil pump I use on my boat and filled it from the drain plug. Been fine ever since

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali

Latest posts