Travel Trailer Towing MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rumline

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm curious what kind of gas mileage folks who tow travel trailers are getting. If you tow a travel or tall enclosed cargo trailer please post what kind of mileage you get, what drivetrain you have, and what conditions it was driven in. (Average speed, flat or mountains, midwest wind or not, etc)

The reason I'm qualifying travel or cargo trailers is the large frontal area means there's a lot more drag than towing a boat or ATV on a flatbed.

k-mart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Late last month, I towed a 7X16 cargo trailer completely full of totes/toys/general houseware from central NC to Colorado Springs. Went up thru VA then to Nashville then up thru STL and headed west thru Missouri and Kansas. Quite a bit of elevation climb. I saw an even 10.0mpg according to the DIC. I didn't bother to calculate the true MPG since I didn't want to be even more depressed. I'd assume it's at least 1mpg optimistic. Still was a great tow vehicle and I never once felt like the rig was being worked very hard. The highest trans temp I saw was 207 but I'd forgotten to turn on tow/haul and it dropped back around 200 pretty quickly. So no real issues with temps for me.

2015 Yukon XL
-Max towing package
-Airaid Jr.
-Black Bear Tune
-Weight distributing hitch with sway control

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts