Transmission too cold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a GM (or other) powertrain engineer who can answer that question for us? Without that key insight, we're all just speculating about ideal transmission temps, or if running them cooler than 150ºF has any consequences worth managing differently.
Call Tom Johnson of "JG Lubricant Services" @ 877-971-7799 ext 2 or [email protected] . I've talked to him several times on the phone. Tom Johnson is President and CoOwner of JG Lubricant Services, LLC. Tom holds a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology from Purdue University and has over 30 years of experience in the bearing, automotive and transmission industries. Prior to forming JG Lubricant Services, Tom was the Transmission Fluids Engineer for Allison Transmission, Inc.2 Tom served in that capacity for the final 20 years of his long career before retiring in 2009. While serving as the Transmission Fluids Engineer, Tom worked with all of the global oil and additive companies. He wrote most of Allison Transmission’s lubricant specifications (including the groundbreaking TES-295 specification). Tom directed and managed testing and approval of hundreds of transmission fluid formulations for Allison Transmission and served as a member of the GM Engine Oil Committee and was a key member of the GM Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Committee.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had mine rebuilt before we moved out of California. 30k miles later I’m debating a tranny flush or drain and fill.
whenever mine have been done it's a stipulation that it be flushed annually for the warranty to remain in effect so obviously there is a reason why. I make it a habit to do it anyway for all fluid except the differential those seem to be ok going a bit further. I went to change the front after a year and the fluid out looked like it just came out of the jug.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been stupid-cold around here lately, and yesterday the ATF temp didn't hit 100* F (per the dashboard digital gauge) until almost 45 minutes of constant driving. For the first 20 mins it was at like 30*F and felt like molasses.
drive faster lol

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Mine rarely gets to minimum temps which is 158 for the HOT fill check. Still going strong!
I replaced my original thermostat for the new one which lowers the temp to around 150. Would the fluid show a lower fill mark from when I was checking while at the original operating temp of say 195? I haven’t had time to check on level ground.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my original thermostat for the new one which lowers the temp to around 150. Would the fluid show a lower fill mark from when I was checking while at the original operating temp of say 195? I haven’t had time to check on level ground.
Yes, like this:

1643360204108.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn