Transmission too cold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsbo1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it’s been cold lately and my tranny hasn't got over 105 degree’s. Should I be concerned?

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope transmissions are essentially a big hydrualic pump. being a bit "cold" is better than too hot. heats the worst enemy of any trans.

OP
OP
itsbo1313

itsbo1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine rebuilt before we moved out of California. 30k miles later I’m debating a tranny flush or drain and fill.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been stupid-cold around here lately, and yesterday the ATF temp didn't hit 100* F (per the dashboard digital gauge) until almost 45 minutes of constant driving. For the first 20 mins it was at like 30*F and felt like molasses.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done a ton of reading about this topic over the past year, and so far I haven't found a single person who knows precisely why GM (and other manufacturers) explicitly recommend a minimum continuous operating temperature for transmission fluid. For the 6L80E for example, it's 150ºF. Some speculate that it's for fuel economy reasons, and others speculate that cooler fluid being more viscous, can increase wear in some components. Not only does it appear in GM service literature, but some transmissions ship from the factory with thermostats designed to allow the fluid to warm up to operating temperature faster before sending fluid through the external cooler.

For some reason seemingly unknown to the universe of shade-tree mechanics and forum participants, there is a minimum recommended operating temperature for transmission fluid. Anyone know a GM (or other) powertrain engineer who can answer that question for us? Without that key insight, we're all just speculating about ideal transmission temps, or if running them cooler than 150ºF has any consequences worth managing differently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo