Transmission Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bonnie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Question. I have 2006 2wd Yukon 5.3 that is in need of a rear main oil seal. I have been told the the trans and exhaust must be removed to do the job. Question is there any other path besides removing the exhaust? I just worry about the exhaust bolts breaking off where it bolts to exhaust header.
Nice design GM

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think just about any exhaust in any other rwd vehicle would require you to remove the exhaust, no? Heat and penetrant oil are going to be your friend.

I did the rear seal last year on my LQ4/4L80e/2wd suburban. I had the bright idea to replace the front pump seal and lock up o ring on the transmission "while I was there." Of course, the local parts store gave me the wrong pump seal, so I had to go hunt another one at a different place. But putting damn heavy torque converter back was the biggest pain. I was working under the truck and had lift it over my head while the transmission was on the transmission jack. My upper body ached a good few days :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_20231114_130343596.jpg
    IMG_20231114_130343596.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231114_130450451.jpg
    IMG_20231114_130450451.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20231114_130436558.jpg
    IMG_20231114_130436558.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20231114_130654874.jpg
    IMG_20231114_130654874.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 4

D -money

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think just about any exhaust in any other rwd vehicle would require you to remove the exhaust, no? Heat and penetrant oil are going to be your friend.

I did the rear seal last year on my LQ4/4L80e/2wd suburban. I had the bright idea to replace the front pump seal and lock up o ring on the transmission "while I was there." Of course, the local parts store gave me the wrong pump seal, so I had to go hunt another one at a different place. But putting damn heavy torque converter back was the biggest pain. I was working under the truck and had lift it over my head while the transmission was on the transmission jack. My upper body ached a good few days :confused:
Ditto, i applied heat cycles with aerokoil for a week and prayed a lot with some sweet talk during the operation to remove without breaking anything.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto, i applied heat cycles with aerokoil for a week and prayed a lot with some sweet talk during the operation to remove without breaking anything.
Good to hear that!

"I" would have done a lot of cussing in English and Spanish! LOL

Anyways, did you buy that rear main seal centering tool? They have different ones. I bought the Sac City version. I posted their link somewhere that shows how to replace it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Question. I have 2006 2wd Yukon 5.3 that is in need of a rear main oil seal. I have been told the the trans and exhaust must be removed to do the job. Question is there any other path besides removing the exhaust? I just worry about the exhaust bolts breaking off where it bolts to exhaust header.
Nice design GM
How badly rusted are they? Do you live in a "salt on the road" state. Lots of penetrating fluid for many days and heat works well. If you can reach them, use a wire brush or wheel to clean the exposed threads as much as possible before removal. When you do attempt to break free, do so and back out just a little, then retighten and spray more fluid and then loosen just a little past the first attempt and then retighten and repeat a little at a time. If moves freely at any time, spray fluid and take out. Tap threads and holes before reassembly.. If you are on your back, get a transmission jack somewhere. If you are keeping, get the transmission gone thru if can afford.

D -money

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good to hear that!

"I" would have done a lot of cussing in English and Spanish! LOL

Anyways, did you buy that rear main seal centering tool? They have different ones. I bought the Sac City version. I posted their link somewhere that shows how to replace it.
No ,im a frugal cheap ass who mcguyvers whenever possible.

OP
OP
B

bonnie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's, in most cases I really like doing the work my self but after reading your posts I think its to much for me, especially if things go wrong then I really have a mess. That's a lot of physical work to do on your back in the cold. When the money is there I`m shop bound. Local Chevy dealer says $800 so I`m in!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I used to bench press NP203's into place when I was in my 20's. Now my sorry old ass can barely handle climbing underneath to do an oil change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn