Transmission Rebuild time! (maybe)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had the time and space, I'd considering doing it myself as it looks like an interesting puzzle... but I have neither at the moment unfortunately.

Part of me is tempted to go to one of these shops that builds 'built' transmissions and just order one, but I expect shipping one of those to me would make the already high price even worse.

I'm hunting for a 'trusted' shop locally... Hopefully I can find someone.
Shipping is included on the built trannys, doesn’t matter as long as you’re in the lower 48. They’re not cheap though. I paid about $3500 for my level 3 “invincible” from Performabuilt that’s rated for 850 HP but I needed something that wouldn’t have trouble with my blown 6.0.

OP
OP
sneasle

sneasle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shipping is included on the built trannys, doesn’t matter as long as you’re in the lower 48. They’re not cheap though. I paid about $3500 for my level 3 “invincible” from Performabuilt that’s rated for 850 HP but I needed something that wouldn’t have trouble with my blown 6.0.

That’s cheaper than most of the ‘builts’ I’ve been looking at.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to Amazon and pick up the shop manual for the 6L80s and look online for the publications in pdf that detail the updated parts and parts kits for them. Circle D transmissions is pretty popular with the truck guys, especially their torque converters at present. You'll then know well if its something you want to tackle or not directly.

OP
OP
sneasle

sneasle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, looks like I may not have the luxury of time to take this repair at my own pace. Was coming back from family pictures in the next town over when I lost power and it threw a CEL on the interstate.

Pulled over and plugged in my little bluetooth OBD2 (thankfully I had it in the truck still). Scanend P0700 and P0796, with P0796 being the code of interest. It's for a stuck 4-5-6 solenoid in the OFF position. I cleared the codes, let it sit for a few minutes (transmission temperature had also creeped up to 180F), turned it off, and then started it back up and stayed on the shoulder till the next exit and took surface roads the rest of the way home. I can definitely feel it misbehaving, not shifting smoothly and slipping a bit in every gear.

Soooo... looks like it is rebuild/replacement time!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, looks like I may not have the luxury of time to take this repair at my own pace. Was coming back from family pictures in the next town over when I lost power and it threw a CEL on the interstate.

Pulled over and plugged in my little bluetooth OBD2 (thankfully I had it in the truck still). Scanend P0700 and P0796, with P0796 being the code of interest. It's for a stuck 4-5-6 solenoid in the OFF position. I cleared the codes, let it sit for a few minutes (transmission temperature had also creeped up to 180F), turned it off, and then started it back up and stayed on the shoulder till the next exit and took surface roads the rest of the way home. I can definitely feel it misbehaving, not shifting smoothly and slipping a bit in every gear.

Soooo... looks like it is rebuild/replacement time!

A Tech2 can run a test on the servo, you may just need to replace the TCM/TECM "valve body" and not rebuild the whole transmission. If you do, stick with OE and not Dorman or anything else.

OP
OP
sneasle

sneasle

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Went and looked them up, they don’t offer 6l80’s :(.

I’ve got a line on a local pull, need to get someone on the phone and see how many miles it has.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
how many miles on your's? just wondering when they start to go. it's not a bad idea to simply throw a salvage trans in to get you down the road and than have your trans remanufactured/"built" when you have the cash/time. Or bite the bullett and have a local shop do the R&R and have yours reman'd now. the cost of the salvage trans would instead be used for a rental car while your's is being fixed. your in the "crutch of the biscuit zone" try to make your decisions based upon doing it right "once". Sorry i am opinionated and dont allways practice what i preach cause im cheap and have a low patience threshold which has led me many times to fixing things right the second time it fails.

Check out Street Smart Transmission

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zachattack_0924