Transmission Rebuild time! (maybe)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sneasle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped my (new to me) truck off at the shop this morning to have it looked at. They gave it a good once over along with looking at my list of specific concerns. Looks like she needs some TLC in a few places, primary of which is the transmission.

I've been getting some lurching/jerks/hesitation when pulling away from a stop. I was hoping it wasn't a transmission issue, but the shop seems to be leaning in that direction. Fluid apparently looks very dark and burnt, so I expect they will recommend a rebuild.

If that ends up being the case, any recommendations on course of action? Should I build it back to 'stock', or is it worth toughening it up a little bit? I'd like to have the option of doing some engine work in the future, so if I would need to strengthen it later for that I'd rather just put a little more into it now and be done with it.

There are a few threads here on these transmissions, but it doesn't look like anyone has really detailed the efforts that go into one of these.

Thoughts?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Dropped my (new to me) truck off at the shop this morning to have it looked at. They gave it a good once over along with looking at my list of specific concerns. Looks like she needs some TLC in a few places, primary of which is the transmission.

I've been getting some lurching/jerks/hesitation when pulling away from a stop. I was hoping it wasn't a transmission issue, but the shop seems to be leaning in that direction. Fluid apparently looks very dark and burnt, so I expect they will recommend a rebuild.

If that ends up being the case, any recommendations on course of action? Should I build it back to 'stock', or is it worth toughening it up a little bit? I'd like to have the option of doing some engine work in the future, so if I would need to strengthen it later for that I'd rather just put a little more into it now and be done with it.

There are a few threads here on these transmissions, but it doesn't look like anyone has really detailed the efforts that go into one of these.

Thoughts?
I'd beef it up some if I was you. I'm not a mechanic, but when my trans was rebuilt they used better clutch packs, a beast sunshell, shift kit and a corvette servo. Shifts great, nice and firm. Better to spend the money now if you know you're going to eventually be doing engine mods.

OP
OP
sneasle

sneasle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd beef it up some if I was you. I'm not a mechanic, but when my trans was rebuilt they used better clutch packs, a beast sunshell, shift kit and a corvette servo. Shifts great, nice and firm. Better to spend the money now if you know you're going to eventually be doing engine mods.

That’s the direction I’m leaning towards. I’m tempted to look and see if I can find one at a pull-a-part that I can rebuild in my free time and swap in when I’m done. Don’t really want the truck down and out for an extended period of time.

Any suggestions on specific sources/vendors for quality parts/rebuild kits? Not looking for a super high power kit, 500hp range should be plenty sufficient. It’s a truck after all, I’m more about that torque :).

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
That’s the direction I’m leaning towards. I’m tempted to look and see if I can find one at a pull-a-part that I can rebuild in my free time and swap in when I’m done. Don’t really want the truck down and out for an extended period of time.

Any suggestions on specific sources/vendors for quality parts/rebuild kits? Not looking for a super high power kit, 500hp range should be plenty sufficient. It’s a truck after all, I’m more about that torque :).
Not sure on brands. I think @bottomline2000 had mentioned Sonnax? Or something like that. Hopefully he'll chime in.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on brands. I think @bottomline2000 had mentioned Sonnax? Or something like that. Hopefully he'll chime in.
The Sonnax I referenced before was about my 80e and a unique pressure relief issue some have.. Now Sonnax does make a Smartdrum that is supposed to be an upgrade to the beast sunshell. The 60e that @Rocket Man has from RPM has one and it's supposed to be a pretty strong trans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
My advice in regard to the trans is to not allow any independant shop to "rebuild" your current trans. Keep researching until you choose a specific trans builder that specializes in "remanufacturing" auto transmissions. I wll also be in your position eventually with a new to me xl1500 denali with 127k miles and we tow a 4k lb travel trailer. When i do decide to do it i will do the R&R myself and ship my trans to them to reman. Ill keep watching this thread to gain some info on who has allready made a choice and running a good reman and having success with it.

OP
OP
sneasle

sneasle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had the time and space, I'd considering doing it myself as it looks like an interesting puzzle... but I have neither at the moment unfortunately.

Part of me is tempted to go to one of these shops that builds 'built' transmissions and just order one, but I expect shipping one of those to me would make the already high price even worse.

I'm hunting for a 'trusted' shop locally... Hopefully I can find someone.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
If I had the time and space, I'd considering doing it myself as it looks like an interesting puzzle... but I have neither at the moment unfortunately.

Part of me is tempted to go to one of these shops that builds 'built' transmissions and just order one, but I expect shipping one of those to me would make the already high price even worse.

I'm hunting for a 'trusted' shop locally... Hopefully I can find someone.

I have "rebuilt" two A4LD auto trans and yes they are fun/interesting/simple to work on but it comes with alot of apprehension/hope. Auto trans rely soley on hydraulic pressure and so many of the seals require special install tools to do them right and "know" their right. any loss of pressure in any area results in poor shift quality and all your work for nothing. A specific reman shop has all the tooling and the environment specifically for hydraulic work. Just keep the remanufacture in the back of your mind when your on the net. It is the best way to go and the $250 shipping wont be a deal breaker.

OP
OP
sneasle

sneasle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have "rebuilt" two A4LD auto trans and yes they are fun/interesting/simple to work on but it comes with alot of apprehension/hope. Auto trans rely soley on hydraulic pressure and so many of the seals require special install tools to do them right and "know" their right. any loss of pressure in any area results in poor shift quality and all your work for nothing. A specific reman shop has all the tooling and the environment specifically for hydraulic work. Just keep the remanufacture in the back of your mind when your on the net. It is the best way to go and the $250 shipping wont be a deal breaker.

Ya, that's a fair point. It's all fun and games until you bolt it back in and something doesn't work :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442