Transmission Rebuild time! (maybe)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
sneasle

sneasle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how many miles on your's? just wondering when they start to go. it's not a bad idea to simply throw a salvage trans in to get you down the road and than have your trans remanufactured/"built" when you have the cash/time. Or bite the bullett and have a local shop do the R&R and have yours reman'd now. the cost of the salvage trans woulmd instead be used for a rental car while your's is being fixed.

Check out Street Smart Transmission

Lol.

This suburban has 214k miles on it. And I’ve had it a few weeks at this point. :).

It sucks, but I expected to need a trans in the near future, I was just hoping for enough time to get one built up before the one in it blew.

There is a yard about 45min from me that has one for $1400. Unsure of the miles, maybe 70k. That’s feels high to me, but I’ve seen some of these rebuild shops charge $1000 or more for the ‘core’ fee. So I’m tempted to go pick that up.

Thankfully this is not my daily driver. My wife and I both drive sedans, the ‘Burb is supposed to be for weekend road trips and similar activities, so it being out of service is just a frustration right now. That said, we eintended to drive it down to visit the families for thanksgiving, so I’d really like to have it back up and running by the so we don’t have to take both sedans. (2x 60lb dogs, 1yo toddler, plus stuff does not fit inside one sedan...)

I’ll check out street smart, thanks.

Edit: StreetSmarts wants $2320 for a reman, free delivery, but with an unknown core charge. Listed as a minimum of $750, but no exact amount given.

Last edited:

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Lol.

This suburban has 214k miles on it. And I’ve had it a few weeks at this point. :).

It sucks, but I expected to need a trans in the near future, I was just hoping for enough time to get one built up before the one in it blew.

There is a yard about 45min from me that has one for $1400. Unsure of the miles, maybe 70k. That’s feels high to me, but I’ve seen some of these rebuild shops charge $1000 or more for the ‘core’ fee. So I’m tempted to go pick that up.

Thankfully this is not my daily driver. My wife and I both drive sedans, the ‘Burb is supposed to be for weekend road trips and similar activities, so it being out of service is just a frustration right now. That said, we eintended to drive it down to visit the families for thanksgiving, so I’d really like to have it back up and running by the so we don’t have to take both sedans. (2x 60lb dogs, 1yo toddler, plus stuff does not fit inside one sedan...)

I’ll check out street smart, thanks.

Edit: StreetSmarts wants $2320 for a reman, free delivery, but with an unknown core charge. Listed as a minimum of $750, but no exact amount given.

i was under the impression that you ship your core back in the same container that the new trans arrives in? the core is 100% refunded if your core is good. 3yr 100k miles is a pretty good warranty!

OP
OP
sneasle

sneasle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was under the impression that you ship your core back in the same container that the new trans arrives in? the core is 100% refunded if your core is good. 3yr 100k miles is a pretty good warranty!

Yes, you are correct. However, I want to keep my core. My plan was/is to have a tranny ‘built’ to handle some additional horsepower and swap it in further down the road, and the core fees some of these places charge is nuts.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
? alex honold is simply the best rock climber in the world and the only person in the world to free solo EL Capitan in yosemite national park. one part of the climb is refered to as the "crutch or crux of the biscuit" in other words dont make a mistake! nothing bad about it?
Still makes no sense to me. Crux means difficulty. It has nothing to do with crutch. And what does biscuit have to do with any of it? Oh man maybe the dudes English, they say some weird shit lol.

OP
OP
sneasle

sneasle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use your new scan tool to diagnose and test the transmission? What is the life of the transmission oil?

No... I haven't. I have not yet dug into the tech2 menues, not sure what I need to be looking at.

Is there a sensor in the transmission for fluid life? Or are you asking when was the last time I changed it? I've only owned this truck for <1000 miles, so I haven't ever changed the transmission fluids :).

OP
OP
sneasle

sneasle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use your new scan tool to diagnose and test the transmission? What is the life of the transmission oil?

No... I haven't. I have not yet dug into the tech2 menues, not sure what I need to be looking at.

Is there a sensor in the transmission for fluid life? Or are you asking when was the last time I changed it? I've only owned this truck for <1000 miles, so I haven't ever changed the transmission fluids :).

@thompsoj22, have you used streetsmart before?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645