Transmission question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@NickTransmissions
I had read in a recent post that had mentioned "- shuddering (Torque converter taking a dump)"

This is my very old thread. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/tranny-issue-need-some-help-figuring-it-out.57118/

2007 Tahoe PPV - 4L60E/3:73 gears

Long story short, when I purchased my Tahoe it had a slight shudder when the converter locked up. Being more of a performance nut and since my previous Tahoe had a built trans and billet Yank I wanted at least a billet stall and a shift kit of some sort to remove the slack in the shifts.
I paid way too much for a shift kit jr and FTI 2800/3000 billet stall. Which to this day has never been the same even with the FitZall valve installed. My rear end was rebuilt and also new joints as well.
It will lock up at around 38 to 40 mph when slowly cruising. And will shudder, definitely not as bad since installing the valve. But after having my rear main replaced about a year ago now my converter will randomly unlock cruising at between 55 and 60 mph.

I was considering buying a new valve body to know the TCC valve bore is not compromised.
I'd like to swap in an 80e but I don't have anyone local for tuning (my old tuner is 3 hours away) and honestly I don't think I'd need it for daily driving.

I have sat with several techs with it hooked up and have gone through everything. Last time was with a shop I rely on when I can't do the work. They sat with me for about an hour with it hooked up going over everything, no codes and everything was in spec. He said "it's running as perfect as I have seen one, especially with the miles you have"

I have just lived with it for years, my wife will not drive it because it will lunge forward quite dramatically. So much I have almost hit several people. Not sure if that's another story or what.

Sorry for the long drawn out "long story short version" :)
I probably mumbled along the way

No rush, thank you in advanced

Reaction score
@992dr - What is your question?

Edit: Sounds like you need to replace the converter. Id also replace the converter lock up solenoid as well.

If the converter clutch fails stuck on, you will stall out every time you come to a stop. If it gets hot enough and the stator comes apart, fine aluminum dust will flood the transmission, requiring a complete overhaul.

The Fitzall valve fixed the valve body's TTC pwm regulator issue, converting it to a mechanical on-off (much better than pwm, builds less heat, firmer apply, etc).

How many miles on the trans/converter?

Last edited:
OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry that was more of a rambling on than anything, trying to explain the situation. Been dealing with it for so long I'm kinda used to it. The lunging though can get a bit nerve racking. Definitely not an enjoyable to ride.

When I installed the Fitzall valve it helped but did not eliminate the problem.

Do you think a new valve body help with anything? Or, should I go through with a more thorough shift kit and use a proper bit to drill it out? I'm not apposed of having firm shifts.

I will order a new converter lock up solenoid and contact FTI to see what they can do.

What are your thoughts on stalls? I had a 3200 in my 99 2dr and it ran like a ***** ape, granted that had a fully built trans. Should I look for something similar or maybe 3400 for my 07?

252k miles on the trans and 150k on converter

Thanks again

Reaction score
Sorry that was more of a rambling on than anything, trying to explain the situation. Been dealing with it for so long I'm kinda used to it. The lunging though can get a bit nerve racking. Definitely not an enjoyable to ride.

When I installed the Fitzall valve it helped but did not eliminate the problem.

Do you think a new valve body help with anything? Or, should I go through with a more thorough shift kit and use a proper bit to drill it out? I'm not apposed of having firm shifts.

I will order a new converter lock up solenoid and contact FTI to see what they can do.

What are your thoughts on stalls? I had a 3200 in my 99 2dr and it ran like a ***** ape, granted that had a fully built trans. Should I look for something similar or maybe 3400 for my 07?

252k miles on the trans and 150k on converter

Thanks again

The Fitzall valve seals the bore and converts the PWM apply mechanically to an on-off. If you had code P1870, late harsh 1-2 upshifts, those should have gone away. Damage to your converter has already been done, so it's now only a matter of time before it craps out, and if it does, it's taking the valve body and pump with it.

Given you have 252k on it, I'd go through the trans, installing whichever performance parts you'd like. Replace all the electrical components, bushings, sun shell, front and rear one way clutch assemblies in addition to all the consumable stuff.

Higher stall converter is fine to a point but unless your engine's cam has been upgraded to at least 219/229 or bigger, going beyond 3k on the stall isn't worth the additional heat its going to build relative to the marginal performance gains over what a 2800-3000 stall will give. Im assuming you have a large stand-alone cooler bolted on (if not, install one).

Valve body-wise, you will want to test it (or have it tested) to see if your AFL valve is worn/not sealing. Once the AFL valve bore wear progresses, a myriad of drivability symptoms start to appear. If it is worn, you'll need to have it reamed w/the Sonnax AFL reamer and install their oversized AFL valve kit (or purchase a reman-upgraded valve body with that valve installed and TCC reg valve also fixed/updated).

I'll be publishing a high performance 4L65E build next week and will start a thread on it once the video series is published to my YT channel. It'll give you some ideas as to what you may want to do to your trans, performance-wise. It will be similar to my 4L80E series (also high performance) but focus on the 4L60 family of transmissions (I already have a stock 4L60E build out on the channel, but this one will be as wild as that one is mild).

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Fitzall valve seals the bore and converts the PWM apply mechanically to an on-off. If you had code P1870, late harsh 1-2 upshifts, those should have gone away. Damage to your converter has already been done, so it's now only a matter of time before it craps out, and if it does, it's taking the valve body and pump with it.

Given you have 252k on it, I'd go through the trans, installing whichever performance parts you'd like. Replace all the electrical components, bushings, sun shell, front and rear one way clutch assemblies in addition to all the consumable stuff.

Higher stall converter is fine to a point but unless your engine's cam has been upgraded to at least 219/229 or bigger, going beyond 3k on the stall isn't worth the additional heat its going to build relative to the marginal performance gains over what a 2800-3000 stall will give. Im assuming you have a large stand-alone cooler bolted on (if not, install one).

Valve body-wise, you will want to test it (or have it tested) to see if your AFL valve is worn/not sealing. Once the AFL valve bore wear progresses, a myriad of drivability symptoms start to appear. If it is worn, you'll need to have it reamed w/the Sonnax AFL reamer and install their oversized AFL valve kit (or purchase a reman-upgraded valve body with that valve installed and TCC reg valve also fixed/updated).

I'll be publishing a high performance 4L65E build next week and will start a thread on it once the video series is published to my YT channel. It'll give you some ideas as to what you may want to do to your trans, performance-wise. It will be similar to my 4L80E series (also high performance) but focus on the 4L60 family of transmissions (I already have a stock 4L60E build out on the channel, but this one will be as wild as that one is mild).
Honestly, I have never had any codes trans related and shifts have always been on point I cant remember ever having late shifts.

That's what I was thinking about the TCC or AFL valve. Seepage from the bore wear causing a shudder.

I think I'll probably end up finding a vendor, my previous was a FLT and they were great, and it performed flawlessly. I don't have the knowledge or tools to go through one myself. I can talk to my mechanic and see if he can recommend someone but, it's my lack of trust that gets the better of me especially not really knowing anyone around here.

Gotcha, I appreciate the info. Yes, I installed a larger cooler when I got my stall.

I've been watching your videos, very thorough and detailed. You certainly are talented that's for sure.

Thanks again for the help and info, I do appreciate it

Reaction score
Honestly, I have never had any codes trans related and shifts have always been on point I cant remember ever having late shifts.

That's what I was thinking about the TCC or AFL valve. Seepage from the bore wear causing a shudder.

I think I'll probably end up finding a vendor, my previous was a FLT and they were great, and it performed flawlessly. I don't have the knowledge or tools to go through one myself. I can talk to my mechanic and see if he can recommend someone but, it's my lack of trust that gets the better of me especially not really knowing anyone around here.

Gotcha, I appreciate the info. Yes, I installed a larger cooler when I got my stall.

I've been watching your videos, very thorough and detailed. You certainly are talented that's for sure.

Thanks again for the help and info, I do appreciate it
You're welcome, man. Post back if any other questions come up and ill do my best to answer them.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I didn't know you had a channel and was about to ask for a link, then I saw you have it in your signature. Is that recent or have I just been missing it?

*EDIT* +1 subscriber :thumbsup:

Reaction score
I didn't know you had a channel and was about to ask for a link, then I saw you have it in your signature. Is that recent or have I just been missing it?

Awesome, thank you! The channel itself is only a year a half old or so but ive been building transmissions since 2013.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

seems it doesn't show up on the default mobile site. had to load as desktop to find it.

subscribed as well. I know zero about automatic trannys. in my world we don't even try to have them rebuilt anymore. shops are all horrible. local places we've tried were a waste of our time and money, we only install new one then never have a problem again.

will be nice to watch some videos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons