Transfer case removal question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My shot transfer case is coming out. I posted a couple days ago about severe grinding - further diagnosis just confirms that the noise is coming from the t-case. I started the removal tonight, but I've hit a snag. Main question: does the trans cross member have to be removed? I can't see how I'd get the bottom bolt out since it's blocked by the trans mount. The problem with removing the cross member, though is the thru bolts on the passenger side hit the cat and can't be removed. So I'd have to remove the whole exhaust system to get those bolts out?

The weird thing is the thru bolts on driver side have the nuts facing backward whereas the passenger side bolts are installed the opposite way, nuts facing forward. If they were all installed with nuts backward, this wouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully there's a solution that does not require lowering the whole exhaust. If not, I'm considering just cutting through the inner of the two passenger side bolts and then letting the x-member pivot down out of the way. Of course I'd have to figure out how to replace the cut bolt. Dealer? Pick-n-pull? And then I'd install them all the same way with nuts backward. The other weird thing - these bolts have a ton of extra length/thread. My deep-well socket barely fit.

IMG_3728.jpegIMG_3730.jpeg
IMG_3724.jpeg

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cross member does have to come out. Can you lift up on the exhaust a little to get the bolts out?

I don’t recall that being an issue when I swapped the transfer case on my 2007, but I do know the bolts were inserted from opposite sides like that.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut the bolts and replace them like you said. U-pull should have them just laying under a truck if somebody pulled a crossmember. I’m not sure why they have so much extra thread, they’re all like that even on previous years.

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cross member does have to come out. Can you lift up on the exhaust a little to get the bolts out?

I don’t recall that being an issue when I swapped the transfer case on my 2007, but I do know the bolts were inserted from opposite sides like that.
no, exhaust wouldn't budge at at all.
Cut the bolts and replace them like you said. U-pull should have them just laying under a truck if somebody pulled a crossmember. I’m not sure why they have so much extra thread, they’re all like that even on previous years.
Yep, I cut the inside one. Then it just pivoted down so I didn't have to cut the other one. Got the case out no problem after that. I'll go to u-pull and see if I can find one on the ground. :cool:

Thanks!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I cut the inside one.
Glad to hear you got it out. You could also go to your local hardware store and get a grade 10 bolt of the proper size.

Probably too late, but since they are way longer than you need if you had the bolt out as far as you can get and then cut along the frame, you could clean up the threads and reuse the bolt as the amount you had to cut off was likely less than the excess length that stuck through the frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew