Trans acting funny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jroman

Reaction score
so this morning i am going to work. start truck. notice abs light on. i did see this on yesterday when i started the truck. after 1-2 minutes. the light went off. so i thought nothing of it.

this morning, start truck see light. head off to work. same- light went off a few minutes into drive. but something seemed weird. almost felt like the trans was not shifting as normal.
i stop and started several times- looking to feel trans shifting, but didn't seem to be acting correctly.

leaving work.

start truck- see abs light. pull out of my spot and usually from where i park to the stop sign, i can alway feel truck shift. no shift.

i make a right onto the main road- screaming- as if to be stuck in first -
couple hundred feet. i notice everything on dash- GOES DEAD- rpm- speed- every needle dropped to 0

then seemed to correct itself and from there to the house. truck seemed to shift fine.

i believe yesterday on the drive to work. i did notice the same dash play- momentarily, everything goes to 0
and then truck is fine????

any ideas?? and if i am posting in the wrong place. please let me know and i will move.

truck is a 97 tahoe- 4 door- 4x4- 96k

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
OP
OP
J

jroman

Reaction score
watched it again yesterday- not all gauges- just the tach and speedo go dead. left in the morning and seemed to not shift out of first. until gauges go dead. and i pedal it. not sure if it then takes 2nd or what but make it to work driving 40-50 mph and the truck revving around 3k.

left work. did small circle in parking lot. watched gauge die - pulled out and drove home as if nothing ever happened.....

reached home- had to run and get cash - went from stuck in first- to NOTHING- where i give gas and all that happens is engine revving- then eventually brake light goes off after gauges die and truck runs ok again???

at a loss.

OP
OP
J

jroman

Reaction score
what is VSS? - location?
speed sensor = location?

thanks- sorry- not sure where things are located or what to be checking

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to scan it for codes. Could be the ECM reacting to the ABS loss of communication and shutting everything down. I know on later models it can actually apply brakes and close throttle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts