Trans issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

On_3_Go

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, had the unfortunate day to have my trans possibly go out on me. Just looking to see some opinions of what could possibly be wrong.

So leaving work I take off, when the trans shifts into 2nd, it makes a noise and acts as if it's in neutral. When I came to a stop, all 3 speeds act the same. Feels as if somethings spinning in the trans but no movement. Tried putting it in 4h, 4L, auto, nothing happens. Placed it in reverse, and hit the gas, it feels like the trans is binding up. And won't move at all. How my truck sat, i had to try and pull it backwards with another vehicle, the rear tires were locked up. Pulling it forward, rolls freely.

Not sure what the heck is going on wjth it. The trans has about 25k miles on a mild build. Stock converter.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, had the unfortunate day to have my trans possibly go out on me. Just looking to see some opinions of what could possibly be wrong.

So leaving work I take off, when the trans shifts into 2nd, it makes a noise and acts as if it's in neutral. When I came to a stop, all 3 speeds act the same. Feels as if somethings spinning in the trans but no movement. Tried putting it in 4h, 4L, auto, nothing happens. Placed it in reverse, and hit the gas, it feels like the trans is binding up. And won't move at all. How my truck sat, i had to try and pull it backwards with another vehicle, the rear tires were locked up. Pulling it forward, rolls freely.

Not sure what the heck is going on wjth it. The trans has about 25k miles on a mild build. Stock converter.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated
Somewhat difficult to understand the above but neutral in 2nd, 4th and Reverse is usually sun shell failure/break up but can also be gear train. The "locked-up" symptom sounds like gear train failure (pieces of teeth wedging themselves imto the mesh of the gear components (sun gear, planetaries, ring gear).

Drop the pan and see whats at the bottom of it. Also rule out the transfer case but if you're able to move in first leads me to believe t case isnt the problem.

OP
OP
O

On_3_Go

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Somewhat difficult to understand the above but neutral in 2nd, 4th and Reverse is usually sun shell failure/break up but can also be gear train. The "locked-up" symptom sounds like gear train failure (pieces of teeth wedging themselves imto the mesh of the gear components (sun gear, planetaries, ring gear).

Drop the pan and see whats at the bottom of it. Also rule out the transfer case but if you're able to move in first leads me to believe t case isnt the problem.
I shoulda proofread alittle better lol. 1-3rd do absolutely nothing. The truck will act as if it's in neutral when placed in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear manually. I meant to say when the truck SHIFTED into 2nd, that's when the trans broke lol my bad. When I put the truck in reverse, it feels like I'm essentially power braking the truck (how the truck kinda has that "twist" feel before you power through the brakes).

I'll see if I can get a vid of the sounds it makes. It doesn't really sound like a whole lot when the truck is put in gear. Just kind of a swirly sound.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I shoulda proofread a little better lol. 1-3rd do absolutely nothing. The truck will act as if it's in neutral when placed in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear manually. I meant to say when the truck SHIFTED into 2nd, that's when the trans broke lol my bad. When I put the truck in reverse, it feels like I'm essentially power braking the truck (how the truck kinda has that "twist" feel before you power through the brakes).

I'll see if I can get a vid of the sounds it makes. It doesn't really sound like a whole lot when the truck is put in gear. Just kind of a swirly sound.
No need to post any videos, thanks for clearing up the description of the symptoms...Next step is to simply drop the pan so you can drain the fluid and confirm what I strongly suspect to be total gear train failure...Put the pan back on with a few bolts, yank it out and rebuild it...I have a 4L60E information thread on here that will help with parts selection, procedures, upgrades - take a look if you haven't already....Depending on the extent of the damage, it may be more financially advantageous to buy a rebuildable core but you won't know until you have yours all apart on the bench.

OP
OP
O

On_3_Go

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No need to post any videos, thanks for clearing up the description of the symptoms...Next step is to simply drop the pan so you can drain the fluid and confirm what I strongly suspect to be total gear train failure...Put the pan back on with a few bolts, yank it out and rebuild it...I have a 4L60E information thread on here that will help with parts selection, procedures, upgrades - take a look if you haven't already....Depending on the extent of the damage, it may be more financially advantageous to buy a rebuildable core but you won't know until you have yours all apart on the bench.
Much appreciated for the response. What stinks for me is I don't really have a place to drop the trans out. I however found a local repair that can a swap out with new TC for 1500. I'm at the cross roads of debating its worth at this point. Truck has 200k on it but the engine doesn't smoke or burn oil much at all, runs actually pretty stout. It's a secondary vehicle to back and forth to work mainly. Tough situation to be in unfortunately. Thanks again for the link and response!

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much appreciated for the response. What stinks for me is I don't really have a place to drop the trans out. I however found a local repair that can a swap out with new TC for 1500. I'm at the cross roads of debating its worth at this point. Truck has 200k on it but the engine doesn't smoke or burn oil much at all, runs actually pretty stout. It's a secondary vehicle to back and forth to work mainly. Tough situation to be in unfortunately. Thanks again for the link and response!
You're welcome...If you like the advantages that a secondary vehicle gives you over not having it and engine, other major sub-systems are in good shape, I'd say it's a no-brainer to have it done. Assuming the trans is built well and comes with a decent warranty, AND you're able to have it rebuild and reinstalled for only $1500 with a converter, not sure why you'd even hesitate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar