Tranmsission issue possibly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

509Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ive got a 2011 tahoe LT. it was a border patrol rig before i bought it
leveled on 285/70r17 tires
when im driving a lot of the times ill be doing 30 mph and itll have me in 4th gear
makes for a very sluggish drive
anyone else having this issue??
trans fluid and filter were replaced about 10k ago
shifts just fine--no slipping or popping

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Virginia. I’m not much help on this one but others will chime in.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
It is probably just the way the factory programs the transmission from the factory. They want you in the highest gear possible to try and save fuel.

Get a custom tune from @BlackBearPerf or buy a Diablo Sport tuner and have Diablew do a custom tune for you. It will make a very noticeable difference in driveability.

If your truck has the tow/haul button on the end of the shifter then try putting it in tow/haul mode and see if you notice any difference.

OP
OP

509Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It is probably just the way the factory programs the transmission from the factory. They want you in the highest gear possible to try and save fuel.

Get a custom tune from @BlackBearPerf or buy a Diablo Sport tuner and have Diablew do a custom tune for you. It will make a very noticeable difference in driveability.

If your truck has the tow/haul button on the end of the shifter then try putting it in tow/haul mode and see if you notice any difference.

ill look into those tunes and try the tow button and see what that does

kbuskill

Reaction score
ill look into those tunes and try the tow button and see what that does

The tow button should hold the gears longer and it will definitely lock out 6th gear and disable AFM, if I'm not mistaken.

OP
OP

509Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The tow button should hold the gears longer and it will definitely lock out 6th gear and disable AFM, if I'm not mistaken.

im not very worried about it holding gears for longer and i want to keep 6th gear
the issue is being in such a high gear at such a low speed

kbuskill

Reaction score
im not very worried about it holding gears for longer and i want to keep 6th gear
the issue is being in such a high gear at such a low speed

I understand... my point in stating that it holds the gears longer was to say that it probably won't shift into 4th gear at lower speeds as early.

xx_ED_xx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if your tires are much bigger then stock then you need a trans tune

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645