Tranmsission issue possibly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tow/haul mode scared me to death first time I towed my boat up my steep curving street. You’ll definitely notice the difference in the first 3-4 gears.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive got a 2011 tahoe LT. it was a border patrol rig before i bought it
leveled on 285/70r17 tires
when im driving a lot of the times ill be doing 30 mph and itll have me in 4th gear
makes for a very sluggish drive
anyone else having this issue??
trans fluid and filter were replaced about 10k ago
shifts just fine--no slipping or popping

In 4th you're loafing along at about 1200 rpms or so? At 35 mph mine is in 5th at about 1000 and at 40 mph, she's in 6th at the same rpm more or less; stock tires. You might be less with that taller tire and several hundred less if you have 3.08s, so yeah, it'll be dog until you wind it up!

OP
OP

509Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In 4th you're loafing along at about 1200 rpms or so? At 35 mph mine is in 5th at about 1000 and at 40 mph, she's in 6th at the same rpm more or less; stock tires. You might be less with that taller tire and several hundred less if you have 3.08s, so yeah, it'll be dog until you wind it up!

ill keep an eye on that and see where the rpms are..i have stock gears and bigger tires
are there any handheld tuners worth a shit??
i also dont think i have the AFM active--

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Diablo sport tuners are pretty good depending on what you want to accomplish.

I have a Diablo sport I2 tuner and am running a custom tune from Diablew.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet its the AFM doing weird stuff, mine kicked in during lower speeds and it drove me crazy......so I had it turned off. I haven't changed out my lifters yet though, YOLO.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but pretty the button on your DIC and get to the Economy screen.......you should be able to see it go into "4cyl" mode, which indicates AFM is active.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ill look into those tunes and try the tow button and see what that does
We would be happy to help! I have have had a couple trucks tuned by our tuner (Justin), and that's where I really feel the difference is the shift pattern improvements and throttle response improvements, makes it more responsive.

OP
OP

509Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bet its the AFM doing weird stuff, mine kicked in during lower speeds and it drove me crazy......so I had it turned off. I haven't changed out my lifters yet though, YOLO.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but pretty the button on your DIC and get to the Economy screen.......you should be able to see it go into "4cyl" mode, which indicates AFM is active.

It doesnt show that at all..just shows trip monitor and trans temp and a couple others
i tried callling my local gm dealer and asked about re flashing the computer and he sounded very confused..said he would talk with his tech and do some research and get back to me..that was about 6 hours ago lol

OP
OP

509Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We would be happy to help! I have have had a couple trucks tuned by our tuner (Justin), and that's where I really feel the difference is the shift pattern improvements and throttle response improvements, makes it more responsive.

What do the tunes start at?
im not looking to go crazy just something simple
i use it as my camping rig so lots of highway miles and lots of dirt roads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny