Trading in the 09 Denali...Denali, Yukon SLT or Tahoe LTZ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeremyp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's time to trade in my 09 Denali as I approach 100k miles and I'm looking for advice for my next GM SUV. Base on the little bit of research I've done it I seems like there's very little difference between the Tahoe LTZ and the Yukon SLT, unlike in previous generations. Am I missing something? Are there any big differences that make the LTZ better than the SLT that I'm not seeing? Pricing also seems to be almost identical between the two with similar options. Regarding the Denali, other than the 6.2 powertrain, are there other differences that make it worth the difference in price? I'm not seeing the glaring difference I saw back when I bought my 2009. The key things I want are Nav, sunroof, leather heated seats, HD trailering pkg, 20"wheels.

I'm not too concerned with the difference in fuel mileage between the Denali and the LTZ/SLT as my company pays for my gas. I tow a snowmobile trailer in the winter but I'm assuming that both powertrains should be able to handle it fine. The trailer only weighs 3000-3200 lbs fully loaded.

Any insight and thoughts you can provide would be very helpful.

Thanks,

JP

twhitechurch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went through this exercise when I bought my SLT. I first decided which I liked based on looks, GM won. The tahoe doesnt do it for me and decided to turn to GMC, However I did look at the tahoe based on the comparable price. The LT tahoe matches up more correctly to the SLT, but has less features than the SLT, it doesnt even have fog lights. The LTZ vs the SLT is similarly equipped except that it has Active Noise canceling, the magnetic suspension and real wood.

SLT vs Denali, there is approx $10,000 price difference with the two, the Denali gains 6.2L, real wood, active noise, magnetic ride, HUD display, alot of chrome (Rims, Grille, rear trim), Denali Badges, Denali monogram on seats, HID headlights and upgraded sound.

Everyone has different values and desires, for me the price difference was not worth the upgrade, besides the denali pricing was not within my budget whatsoever unfortunately.

Hope this helps,
Tomas

blackout07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, the tahoe wins in the looks department. But I've always preferred the looks of the Chevys.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much money do you have to spend? That's the question you need to ask yourself.
There is no "value" to be had, but rather how much equipment you can afford.

Everyone has a different budget and some can't afford a Denali so they choose the SLT. Those who buy a Denali would not consider an SLT.

Your best bet is to answer that question, and then go the build site and pick out what you can afford.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went through this exercise when I bought my SLT. I first decided which I liked based on looks, GM won. The tahoe doesnt do it for me and decided to turn to GMC, However I did look at the tahoe based on the comparable price. The LT tahoe matches up more correctly to the SLT, but has less features than the SLT, it doesnt even have fog lights. The LTZ vs the SLT is similarly equipped except that it has Active Noise canceling, the magnetic suspension and real wood.

SLT vs Denali, there is approx $10,000 price difference with the two, the Denali gains 6.2L, real wood, active noise, magnetic ride, HUD display, alot of chrome (Rims, Grille, rear trim), Denali Badges, Denali monogram on seats, HID headlights and upgraded sound.

Everyone has different values and desires, for me the price difference was not worth the upgrade, besides the denali pricing was not within my budget whatsoever unfortunately.

Hope this helps,
Tomas

Very informative post there!

How much money do you have to spend? That's the question you need to ask yourself.
There is no "value" to be had, but rather how much equipment you can afford.

Everyone has a different budget and some can't afford a Denali so they choose the SLT. Those who buy a Denali would not consider an SLT.

Your best bet is to answer that question, and then go the build site and pick out what you can afford.

Judging by his post it sounds like he knows the pricing on the 3 models he is questioning. He's driving a Denali now, and he is considering buying one again. I doubt he needs to ask himself what he can afford or what he wants to spend.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The major difference is as you've pointed out, the power train. The Denali gets you significantly more power and a transmission with two more gears/faster shifting. The other stuff, like head's up display, active cruise control and hands-free power lift gate, are just icing on the cake. They really aren't necessary but seem nice to have.

As you've pointed out, either vehicle will tow your trailer (you'll need the HD package added onto anything other than the Denali).

I ordered the Denali because I can and I wanted the extra power/8 speed transmission.

motorwerks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may want to check residuals with some lenders for all three models. A higher residual may sway your decision from one model to another with regards to resale when you're ready to sell.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very informative post there!

Judging by his post it sounds like he knows the pricing on the 3 models he is questioning. He's driving a Denali now, and he is considering buying one again. I doubt he needs to ask himself what he can afford or what he wants to spend.

It's always about what you can afford, or he wouldn't be asking the question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz