TPMS sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you break the bead you can use a piece of 2x4 lumber to wedge in the bead to hold it open until you finish. You also get more room pushing the opposite side of the tire down off the inner lip of the rim. Get a valve stem tool too. Remove the core before breaking the bead down, makes it easier. Cut the old stem off with a utility knife, being careful not to drop the old sensor into the tire. Use some lubricant on the new stem to help it pop in easier, stick it through the hole, thread on your stem tool and pry it up. I use a pair of cushioned pliers as a pry tool. If you have issues resetting the bead remove the stem core again for more air flow, that will usually do the trick. Lube the tire bead too before seating the bead. Soap and water work fine for this.

George And

Reaction score
Don't the sensors have that torx set screw that releases them from the valve stem? or attaches them to the valve stem. Like i said i don't know enough about it, but maybe he is just trying to run up the bill by claiming he has to dismount / remount / balance everything. Its not something I want to try at home. I have a program tool from my older 17 silverado i traded but my understanding is that the new sensors self learn within a bit of driving.

I'll let you know what happens.

George

George And

Reaction score
Don't the sensors have that torx set screw that releases them from the valve stem? or attaches them to the valve stem. Like i said i don't know enough about it, but maybe he is just trying to run up the bill by claiming he has to dismount / remount / balance everything. Its not something I want to try at home. I have a program tool from my older 17 silverado i traded but my understanding is that the new sensors self learn within a bit of driving.

George

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

George
Mine came as one unit- valve stem and all. I’m pretty sure that’s how all the ACDelco ones are. It’s just like R&R ‘ing a valve stem only there’s a sensor attached to the inside. These places forget there’s an internet now where people can go look up information when they’re not up on stuff. They count on taking advantage of people who don’t know any better. I bet that guy figured out right away you didn’t know much about them and figured he’d make some money off you. Time for you to become educated about TPMS sensors! ;)

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

George

Mine came as one unit- valve stem and all. I’m pretty sure that’s how all the ACDelco ones are. It’s just like R&R ‘ing a valve stem only there’s a sensor attached to the inside. These places forget there’s an internet now where people can go look up information when they’re not up on stuff. They count on taking advantage of people who don’t know any better. I bet that guy figured out right away you didn’t know much about them and figured he’d make some money off you. Time for you to become educated about TPMS sensors! ;)

My Delco sensors from Rockauto were two piece. That way you can change stems and retain the sensor.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Delco sensors from Rockauto were two piece. That way you can change stems and retain the sensor.
Yes they’re two pieces, if you want to separate them. But they come as one piece when you buy them, so if he buys new sensors they will come with valve stems. I have never had to change valve stems alone. By the time they are deteriorated it’s time for new sensors anyway. Actually I’ve always had the sensors go dead but the valve stems are fine.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes they’re two pieces, if you want to separate them. But they come as one piece when you buy them, so if he buys new sensors they will come with valve stems. I have never had to change valve stems alone. By the time they are deteriorated it’s time for new sensors anyway. Actually I’ve always had the sensors go dead but the valve stems are fine.
When I was in the auto repair field we swapped stems every tire change as cheap insurance.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only time a tire shop has put new valve stems in any of my vehicles is when I bought new rims. I’ve never had one go bad afaik.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The only time a tire shop has put new valve stems in any of my vehicles is when I bought new rims. I’ve never had one go bad afaik.
Corrosion is an issue here so we would change them out and deal with any corrosion that may be forming. I don’t recall many failures over the years but there was a few. Stems are typically made from EPDM rubber with a shelf life of 5-10 years. This is likely reduced by heat, UV and ozone exposure. In my old school ways I would rather have new ones every ~5 years when I changed tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd