TPMS sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artem-G

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After three 2-hour visits to a tire shop — first to install the new tires, then to diagnose and replace a sensor they thought was faulty, and finally to install GMC OEM sensors — I have learned, the hard way, that our 2021 trucks’ TPMS sensors are not compatible with the previous models’.

So make sure to get OEM sensors when installing new tires!

Pictures to attract attention.

Before:
807D935D-A236-4C75-8FC2-1E4B687B04A6.jpeg

After:
D3B5864F-7585-456D-9B36-9A3D0D4EC3D5.jpeg

rispony

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After three 2-hour visits to a tire shop — first to install the new tires, then to diagnose and replace a sensor they thought was faulty, and finally to install GMC OEM sensors — I have learned, the hard way, that our 2021 trucks’ TPMS sensors are not compatible with the previous models’.

So make sure to get OEM sensors when installing new tires!

Pictures to attract attention.

Before:
View attachment 265386

After:
View attachment 265389
Love the stance! Are you running a lift? And can you tell me who makes your 18's? I was under the impression that Denali's brake calipers wouldnt clear anything less than 20". Would love to know your tire/rim setup, thanks!

George And

Reaction score
I bought a set of aftermarket wheels / tires with sensors and I found out the hard way that the sensors the seller included don't work with our trucks. Apparently the sensors are all the same in apperance however the new ones are different. there is an article on gmtechnet about it. I ordered the correct sensors but now I have to have the sensors replaced in the wheels and that probably entails dismounting tires / rebalancing as well.... fun stuff. Best part was arguing with the seller and trying to get them to foot the bill for the new TPMS because they were adamant that they sent / installed the correct 433mhz sensors for a tahoe. I was like but its a 2021 tahoe. "Oh they are all the same you just didn't program them correctly". Right.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought a set of aftermarket wheels / tires with sensors and I found out the hard way that the sensors the seller included don't work with our trucks. Apparently the sensors are all the same in apperance however the new ones are different. there is an article on gmtechnet about it. I ordered the correct sensors but now I have to have the sensors replaced in the wheels and that probably entails dismounting tires / rebalancing as well.... fun stuff. Best part was arguing with the seller and trying to get them to foot the bill for the new TPMS because they were adamant that they sent / installed the correct 433mhz sensors for a tahoe. I was like but its a 2021 tahoe. "Oh they are all the same you just didn't program them correctly". Right.

Seems like you wouldn't need to dismount the tires to replace the TPMS sensors, just break the bead on the valve stem side and that should give you access to the sensor.

George And

Reaction score
The issue is that they are AT tires and my tire guy doesn't know if he can get enough flex out of the tire to swap the sensor without dismounting it. I guess we'll see when the OE sensors arrive.

tahoe tires.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The issue is that they are AT tires and my tire guy doesn't know if he can get enough flex out of the tire to swap the sensor without dismounting it. I guess we'll see when the OE sensors arrive.

View attachment 279072
Must not be much of a tire guy. The shop should have a machine that will push that bead all the way to the opposite side, then you swap the sensor from outside. Maybe he’s thinking of reaching inside to swap it? That would be the hard way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne