Towing a Challenger from Coast to Coast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moving from Hawaii to Connecticut in May. Will be loading up in Las Angeles and heading out along Southern states using I-20 for most of the trip. We have 2 cars, so will be driving the Tahoe and towing my 2012 Challenger R/T on a U-Haul trailer. Wife and I have done the 2 cars across country before, not again!

Car + Trailer will be 6-6,500 lbs...so I know the Tahoe is rated for this load. I've towed plenty before with trucks, and smaller trailers with SUV's.

Guess mainly I'm wondering what to worry about? My main concern is the trailer brakes, and the craptastic P rated tires on my Tahoe.
1. Thinking about getting LT rated tires before the tow. We've got 16k miles right now and those POS tires are 1/2 worn out. This tow will really accelerate the wear...so that's a bonus. So tires may wait till we get there.

2. Thinking about getting a brake controller. $100-150 seems like great insurance if the trailer has electronic brakes. But I'm 99% sure the U-Haul trailer has surge brakes...so yeah.

So yeah, any help/ideas appreciated. Been almost 15yrs since my last major tow like this.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since your sticking to southern states and doing a lot of driving I suggest an all season highway based tire. I also suggest getting an auxiliary transmission cooler. The truck is rated for that weight for general distances not really cross country constant towing. If your getting uhaul I can almost bet you will get stuck a basic car trailer and won't have to worry about a brake control. Also along with the concern of hauling a full size car the whole distance getting a full complement of basic maintenance checked over. Coolant system, belts, tune up such and so forth.

OP
OP
Tylus

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
she's current on all the basic fluids and inspections. I will change the oil the day before I send her to be shipped to LA.

luckily this trip is mainly flat until I hit the eastern seaboard, even then it's fairly easy driving.

last time I did this trip I went across the northern states....not doing that again. Those hills are downright scary!

OP
OP
Tylus

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked with U-Haul, and yes their brakes are surge brakes. They're electrically driven, but triggered off a surge switch. curious

are there any other companies that rent trailers like this? almost $900 to rent, considering just buying one depending on price

LGSONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 900 bucks couldn't you just have it shipped for you? There was a thread here a while back with pretty reasonable pricing for having a vehicle picked up and dropped off. Had you checked into that?

LGSONE

OP
OP
Tylus

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming from Hawaii the costs are much higher

I'm looking at $1500-2000 to ship from LA to CT. Already dropped $1k to ship to LA

Wish there was a more economical way. Already spent a ton on this, not looking to spent a ton more

Chinzo

Reaction score
I tow with my 15 Yukon XL Denali many things. Its basically same thing expect 6.2, but i strongly recommend few things:
1. Hookup transmission cooler (its simple DIY) in front of your radiator - about $60 if you do it yourself
Over short distance, your car can haul that car without any issues, but combining 8hrs of driving on hot summer can really take a toll.
2. Be sure your dolly trailer has a spare, i was once founded needing $75.00 tire and wheel middle of nowhere, but luckily paid about $400 from local towing company :)
3. Watch out for no-truck routes, on east coast we have highways that are also named Parkways and its about $300 penalty driving on them, because once you're hooked up - you're classified as truck
4. Surge brake is better option as it will eliminate need of controlling all the electronics separately if your car isn't equipped with one. Also saves on gas.

And also more obvious tips like checking the straps every time you fill the gas, external turn lights working and staying on the towed vehicle, amber or red flag on towed vehicle, trailer tongue is still in locked position, larger mud flaps or make shift heavy duty rubber behind your car to protect towed vehicle from debris etc.

I was once broke down driving Ford F750 Superduty 20' Box truck and about 500 miles away from home. Thankfully my wife came over with my Denali and we towed it with towing straps the entire way as $3000 towing option wasn't feasible. It was pretty scary (and illegal and stupid) thing to do, but we made it home alright. My half worn tires before the tow were almost bald by the time we got home (2 rears)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tylus

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips

I ended up finding a company that'll do it for $2200. Going that route

After pricing out the rental trailer, gas and headaches, that $2200 is about $100 shy of what it'll cost me to do it myself

What happened to the day of a $700 shipping fee? Oh well

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or just make your wife suck it up and drive the challenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo