My Experience Towing with a '17 Suburban 5.3L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tdebacker

tdebacker

Reaction score
@RobH

My front end is in the air because I have a leveling kit and aftermarket struts that put the front end up higher than I expected, so when there's any weight, it squats a little bit.

I tried fitting each axle on each plate, but I couldn't seem to do that. I don't know if it was me or not, but I was having issues.

I'm aware the owners manual "states" not to tow heavy trailers above 5000 pounds without a WDH, but I'm not going to buy a WDH for one or two runs. I have the Max Tow Package so I am rated a maximum of 8000 pounds.

Most of the tongue weight issue was the fact I loaded the truck too far forward. Trailer weighs 2430 empty.

I knew I was overweight on the rear, but I opted for 10 ply tires on the Suburban when I got new ones, for instances like this. It kept steady even up and down the passes.

I know my trucks limits by the door stickers, 7500 lb GVWR and a 1506 lb payload.

I am aware of all of this.

In fact, I run my tires at 52 PSI because that is what the new tires would require proportionately to the axle weight ratings, although I'll bump them up to 55 psi with weight.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you able to adjust the brake control unit? On my Techonsha I adjust it so that it applies the trailer brakes just before the TV brakes engage. This helps avoid any squirminess.
We apply the gain setting by taking the vehicle and trailer up to 25 mph and using the manual apply lever to lock up the trailer brakes and then back it off some so it doesn't.

If we're towing at about 4,000 pounds we have the gain set to 4.5 and when the trailer is loaded to 7,000 pounds we set the gain to 7.0 so that the brakes on the trailer don't lock up if we have to stop fast.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run my tires at 52 PSI because that is what the new tires would require proportionately to the axle weight ratings, although I'll bump them up to 55 psi with weight.
What Load Range E tires are you running?

The standard for LR E at 52 and 55 psi is 4,894 and 5,020 pounds per axle respectively. A nice margin but if left that way may wear the center of the tire down and cause them to bleed down more frequently. Maybe.

OP
OP
tdebacker

tdebacker

Reaction score
What Load Range E tires are you running?

The standard for LR E at 52 and 55 psi is 4,894 and 5,020 pounds per axle respectively. A nice margin but if left that way may wear the center of the tire down and cause them to bleed down more frequently. Maybe.
Load range 123, or 3145 lbs per tire from Nitto. If you do the math, 51 to 52 psi is what would equal out the load rating from factory. Thank god the tire light doesn't come on to tell me it's "too high".

I've put about 4000 miles on them and the wear is very consistent.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Load range 123, or 3145 lbs per tire from Nitto. If you do the math, 51 to 52 psi is what would equal out the load rating from factory. Thank god the tire light doesn't come on to tell me it's "too high".

I've put about 4000 miles on them and the wear is very consistent.
Load Range E 123 is 3,415 pounds @ 80 psi. What size wheel and tire are you running?

OP
OP
tdebacker

tdebacker

Reaction score
Load Range E 123 is 3,415 pounds @ 80 psi. What size wheel and tire are you running?
Factory 20" chrome plated wheels and 275/60R20 E.

Looks so much better than the 55r20s that come factory. If I end up keeping it long term, I want to regear to 3.73.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory 20" chrome plated wheels and 275/60R20 E.

Looks so much better than the 55r20s that come factory. If I end up keeping it long term, I want to regear to 3.73.
1687214877551.png

I made a little calculator that can extrapolate weights between posted pressures and set it up for your tire size and load range. Dual Tire Load Rating is not for a dually, it just means two tires on an axle. Fun stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts