Towing a 26' travel trailer with 99 Yukon 4wd SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dryfly

Dryfly

Reaction score
What year, make and model of trailer did you buy?

It's a 1999 Fleetwood Wilderness GL 26H. The day after we bought it we pulled it from Arkansas to the Black Hills Of SD. (impulsive, I know). It seemed to be ok but whinnied going up steeper grades to about 4K RPM, and only got up to about 45 MPH. 65-68 MPH is as much as it would go on flat grade, which is plenty for me. The fuel consumption was about 7-8 MPG. All seemed OK but there was a bit of missing after I got back. It's in the shop getting that looked at. I'm hoping that it's just fouled plug. We'll see.

I don't know the tongue wt. I plan to take it to the scales this week to get all the wt numbers.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get a 2500 diesel rig. Not sure what vehicle yet. Any suggestions?

But if I an upgrade tranny and rear end, cooler, etc, and be ok, I'd rather do that. I've sunk a fair amount into the Yukon this year and I really do like the truck.

---------- Post added at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 AM ----------

if you plan on towing over 50% of the time, buy a 3/4 ton diesel.

I think that's the direction that I'm headed. I don't think it will be 50%. Maybe 10%, but, althought it handled a long trip to the Balck Hills, last month, it did labor on other than flat grade.. All the 2500 diesels and F250s went blowing by me.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look into an airstreams they are lighter and nicer the newer ones are kinda expensive so youll have to go with an older one so far ive been successful at finding older airstreams in good shape in the 5 to 6 grand range

---------- Post added at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 AM ----------

with at least a one ton truck and a diesel preferable a powerstroke and a 4.10 axle you can move mountains

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to the specs if you're so inclined:

http://media.rvusa.com/library/Fleetwood1999_wi_f.pdf

What did you buy for a hitch? I think you'll find that towing it at 62 will be better. Maybe not much better fuel consumption, but the truck won't have to work so hard. The tires are likely rated for a max speed of 60mph as well.

I don't think you need to go into a diesel unless you planning on towing more than this in the future. When you add up the extra purchase cost plus the cost of fuel you'll find that a better gas TV will work.

Other than upgrading your trans cooler and maybe the brakes, you might be get some value out of a BB tune, though. I wouldn't do anything to the rear end, etc. until it breaks.

OP
OP
Dryfly

Dryfly

Reaction score
Everyone, thanks for all the great information and advice.

Birchyboy, I can't thank you enough for the time you took to get this information. It is really helpful. The hitch that came with the TT and is a HD load leveling hitch (2-5/16" ball) and two steel bar & chain levelers. It also has a friction-type stabilyzer bar (type with a small ball hitch on each end and a hand screw to adjust the tension/resistance. Getting the tension set properly and tight enough on the chains made a huge difference in the ride.

This is our first rodeo with a camper (im sure that now that by now) and we have really taken a liking to it, so our hope is to go as often as we can. We realize that more frequent local trips is going to be more doable and maybe one or two longer trips during the year. I work full time for Game & Fish but have a really flexible schedule. We live in the Ozarks of N.C. Arkansas, so there's no shortage of beautiful RV sites, but it does require driving through hills at times. Thursday-Sunday we'll head to the Ozark Sylamore National Forest which is only about 40' miles away and hang out there for 3 or 4 days of hunting and fishing, then head back. Home.

I've been checking Craigslist and found a couple of options that would give me about 9,200 lbs of towing capacity.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/ctd/4666486205.html
http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/cto/4646539803.html

the problem is that I'd probably have to sell the Yukon to have make financial sense, which breaks my heart. but, having the TT sit in the yard, or only local trips is worse option to me.

I now that I've given way more info than you probably care to read, but though that some idea of how we'll be using the camper and where we're comin from may give a clearer picture.

Thanks again, and please keep the opinions coming.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Where does one typically find a scale?-interstate weigh stations are the only ones I now of. Do truck stops, such as Flying J or Pilot sometimes have them. Even so, I'm probably 1-1/2 hours from one. I'm afraid that if I got in line at an interstate weigh station that the commercial truckers would hang me for tying them up while I weigh two axils, TV, a trailer and tongue weight (if the scale master would even let me do it). I know these are niave questions but I'm new to all of this, I appreciate your patience.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the CAT scale at a Flying J when I'm checking mine out. Just go into the office, explain what you want to do, and they should be ok with it. Lots of people do this. You probably should call them to make sure they have one and its operational before you go. That's a long ways!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Any large truck stop should have one especially if they have a garage. Or you could bug a highway atrophy highway inspection station.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas

Latest posts