Towing a 26' travel trailer with 99 Yukon 4wd SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dryfly

Reaction score
I would have thought that this would be covered in past threads but I couldn't find any. Sorry if I'm being redundant.

I just picked up a 26' travel trailer with a GMVW of 8300 and gross max unloaded wt of 6200. I have a 99 4d, 4wd SLT Yukon, with stock trans and rear end and original rear bilsteins (HD yellow) that came original on the truck. The front shocks were new in the spring. Other than elec. brake controller, 7-pin connector and load-distributing hitch with anti-sway and stabilizer, what kind of mods do you think I need? I plan to do some long distance and mountain travel.

Also, I have pulled lots of light trailers, small boats and the like, but it's my first rodeo with a heavy load like this. Any general tips will be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Dryfly

Dryfly

Reaction score
Trans cooler...Trans cooler...Trans cooler!

Thanks liningez..I do have a trans cooler. I just forgot to mention that. Are all transmission coolers created equal? The ine one I have is not very big-bout 8" x 16". Are there bigger, or heavier duty coolers that I should consider?

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're going to be way overweight for your truck. The max trailer weight is 6,500lbs. What's your tongue weight? If you're going to tow with it, you'll want to upgrade the brakes to the best you can. Getting it going will be hard, but getting it stopped will be harder, even with the electric brakes.

OP
OP
Dryfly

Dryfly

Reaction score
I replied after reading livingez's post but not Nathan's. Now that Ive read the links, I know what to look into for that trans cooler. -- Thanks Nathan.

OP
OP
Dryfly

Dryfly

Reaction score
Thanks Birchyboy. I actually saw that thread this morning and will go that route. Do you think that with that upgrade, the transmission will handly the load? Rear end? If I can upgrade those and keep this vehicle that would be sweet. If I have to get a stronger tow vehicle, I'd rather know that before I make the investment in the Yukon, which I'll probably keep anyway, just not for pulling the RV.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year, make and model of trailer did you buy? I hauled my 24' to Maine and back this summer for a total of 5,600 miles. It has a dry weight of 3,800lbs and a loaded weight of about 4,700. Mine is stock except for the tranny cooler. It did well enough but I wouldn't want to haul the weight your looking at with it.

I'm looking at putting mine on the market and moving to a 2005 model with the 5.3 I'm even considering a suburban with the 6.0. At altitude, where I am, it struggles over the passes. I want something that I know will get me up the mountin and back down again.

If your going to be hauling it a lot, I think you should get a better tow vehicle. Plan on getting something where your weight is about 80% of the max as a safety margin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali