Towing a cargo trailer with these trucks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newbie78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be buying a 7x14 enclosed cargo trailer will my truck handle it?

I have 190,000 miles and I'm not sure if it's the original trans. I don't want to kill my trans. I will install a bigger trans cooler even though it has one with the towing package. I plan on towing it a couple times a week.

If I can tow does anyone have any recommendations on a good trans cooler? I also plan on getting 2 new tires E load rated and new rear shocks this stuff is needed anyway.

thanks

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I haul my 18ft car hauler with various heavy cars no problems. Also have hauled SUVs on my 16ft utility trailer before I got the car hauler. You should be fine but would def upgrade shocks or add a leaf if you don't want any squatting

OP
OP
N

newbie78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?18104-How-to-factory-auxiliary-trans-cooler-upgrade trans cooler upgrade.

I towed an 18ft car trailer with a grand cherokee on it, in 90* 100% Humidity VA weather, AC on full blast.. and my Tahoe was lifted on 35s and 3.42s lol..

thanks for the link

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

another question...

Do you add more transmission fluid with a larger or additional trans cooler? In theory wouldn't it take slightly longer for the cooled fluid to go back to the trans because its going through a bigger or more coolers?

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?18104-How-to-factory-auxiliary-trans-cooler-upgrade trans cooler upgrade.

I towed an 18ft car trailer with a grand cherokee on it, in 90* 100% Humidity VA weather, AC on full blast.. and my Tahoe was lifted on 35s and 3.42s lol..

Wow did you get like 3 mpg?:jester:

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
Depends on how you drive and how the trailer is going to be used.

Don't drive it like a race car. Just ease into it. Stomping on it is going to heat up the fluid real quick.

What are you going to load it up with? 2-3000lbs of lawn care equipment or something? You'll be fine.

JubjubW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tahoetractor.jpg

Added a leaf only... does this regularly...
Mine used to do it too... just had air shocks... added air to level the ride when the machine and trailer were put on... the truck in the picture is on a slant too, so thats why the rear end is squatted... usually back the tractor up a foot or so, resting on the incline, chain it down, and cruise at highway speeds fine...

Bottoms Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Saw an OBS pulling about a 16' horse trailer yesterday with 2 horses in the trailer. Had the front of the Tahoe up in the air a good bit.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Lol when I hauled a scrap Lincoln my dovetail scraped on a store driveway thing. But I did have the Lincoln all the way in the front which made it sag a bit. Can't wait to sas so while at it get better leafs. On another note Lincoln's are really heavy. Got 300 scrap for it no motor. Got 300 last time for a mini van thing with everything intact

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trackman