Totaled 05 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just buy back from insurance, salvage what you can and part out the rest.
Yes I kinda wish I had with our van.. They paid us offered it for $900, then it sold for a lot at auction, of course it had mechanical problems not listed on the auction.. I could have made more than the 900... but I wasn't wanting to deal with the headache of a Salvage title.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the airbags go off?

Sorry to see your baby get crushed. Amazingly safe vehicles though. Glad you found a decent replacement.
Yup, USAA is good insurance, unfortunately I know with having 2 teenage drivers.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I kinda wish I had with our van.. They paid us offered it for $900, then it sold for a lot at auction, of course it had mechanical problems not listed on the auction.. I could have made more than the 900... but I wasn't wanting to deal with the headache of a Salvage title.
Generally speaking, it more often advantageous to buy a vehicle back especially if you have additions/customizations on it that can be taken off easily.

IIRC from my brother's wreck the value that an insurance company can charge for buyback is capped (by law) at a very low percentage of the vehicle's value. I think it may be 18% but that could be state-specific. That is just what he was told by his agent. Anyways, he had a nice Ram Cummins with a high-end flat-bed, tool-boxes, air-compressor, fuel-tank etc. All-in, a $35k truck. He bought it back for around $7k, took his toolboxes, bed, fuel-tank etc off, put the original bed back on and listed it for $10k; a guy drove from Pennsylvania (over a day round-trip) to pick it up so it must've been a really good deal to him.

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, it more often advantageous to buy a vehicle back especially if you have additions/customizations on it that can be taken off easily.

IIRC from my brother's wreck the value that an insurance company can charge for buyback is capped (by law) at a very low percentage of the vehicle's value. I think it may be 18% but that could be state-specific. That is just what he was told by his agent. Anyways, he had a nice Ram Cummins with a high-end flat-bed, tool-boxes, air-compressor, fuel-tank etc. All-in, a $35k truck. He bought it back for around $7k, took his toolboxes, bed, fuel-tank etc off, put the original bed back on and listed it for $10k; a guy drove from Pennsylvania (over a day round-trip) to pick it up so it must've been a really good deal to him.

Yes, it usually can be a better deal. I was able to remove my stereo, and a few other items. In the end, I didn't want to deal with having to sell it, or deal with a "salvage" title in NC It's a shame they "salvage" it just for the cost of repair exceeding a percentage of value of the vehicle. Now we have a snazzy Yukon XL...

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you didn’t get hurt and have a new project. Sometimes it’s just not worth messing with the salvage end of things.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
similar thing happened to me once I was driving in the #4 lane of a 6 lane highway, lanes 5&6 were jammed up to exit to another highway, somebody in lane #5 jumped out in front of me from a dead stop, I swerved to miss them did 2 or 3 360's in the middle of a 6 lane, ended up facing traffic abrupt against the center divider, by some miracle I didn't hit anyone else, all traffic was dead stopped in AWE even the 2 exit lanes cleared, there was a cop stuck 3 or 4 rows back and the guy that pulled out pulled over about 1/4 mile up the highway because I could see him in my rear view mirror since I was facing traffic. I was admittedly high as a kite (this was years ago) and it only took me about 1 second to realize I was probably screwed six ways from Sunday so I jammed the pedal and took off down the other highway lol. I honestly have no idea what the cop was thinking or what they did afterwards but I was outa there. That was just one of my many adventures.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
( i used to investigate this sort of stuff)...... The "other driver" made a sudden maneuver (first), causing the possibility of an accident ( other driver at fault making an unsafe lane change...TURNING).....

If YOU were driving straight, ( NO turning) then you are considered not at fault.

Do NOT trust the police report as accurate !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11