Blown 6.2 (not in good way) '21 Denali XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuyLow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long story short:

Engine blew during a road trip on highway at 85 mph, no warning, no lights, no previous issues. Just complete loss of power. Similar circumstances to everyone else.

Fast lane, highway speeds, holiday traffic. BARELY able to clear traffic and get off the interstate and even then could only get about 3 ft off the road due to enormous drop off of shoulder. 107 degree heat, no A/C, semis screaming by and shaking the car for more than an hour... There was nowhere for us to safely wait without walking leaving the car and walking a couple of miles. (Please note: Uber will not pick you up on the side of the highway, lol).

Now the back and forth with GM "customer care".

Car was repaired pretty quickly compared to others experiences, but the fact remains that I have zero confidence in the longevity of this car especially after learning that the car has likely been repaired with parts that are susceptible to the same failure. My kids are scared to ride in the car because the experience we had was unfavorable to them to say the least.

My simple requests of GM: rental reimbursement. extended warranty.

rental reimbursement seems to be going ok but based on the experience so far, until the check is in my hand and clears the bank, I remain skeptical.

The warranty request is a different issue. Initially the CC rep immediately responded to my email request where the circumstances were clearly outlined (including duration of repair time) with:

"I also see that you are requesting that the warranty on the repaired vehicle be extended as you have a justified concern that there may be ongoing problems with the car. I can absolutely assist you with that request and can do much better as I can offer you way more for this concern. So what I would like to offer you is the following:..."

The rep offered complementary onstar or 25,000 rewards points, pre-paid maintenance, a CCCL (Comprehensive Component Coverage Letter)... ...for a term of either 12 mos. or 15,000 miles from the end of your bumper-to-bumper warranty, whichever comes first and additional reward points.

i thought, OK, cool. All i wanted was the reimbursement for the unavoidable rental expense and a warranty but this offer is a nice act of contrition. Way to go GM!

I asked for clarity on the CCCL which the rep provided in detail. After a couple of questions and back and forth emails with the rep providing clarity and sending links for me to register for the GM rewards, they reneged.

Out of the blue the rep left a very matter-of-fact voice mail stating that they had made a mistake in the number of days of a parts delay and that because of that the offers made didn't apply and that if i wanted the warranty extended, id have to go through the dealer. Please keep in mind that the entire scenario, dates and every detail, receipts and repair orders was included in the email that I sent and requested the warranty.

Now, while I may be reimbursed for the rental cars, it is neither sufficient nor appropriate and I am looking at options.

If anyone has any advice or guidance, it would be appreciated. I will continue to update this thread and will include resolution.

thx

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look up Lemon Law in your state and see if your vehicle qualifies, hopefully you have good documentation of everything that has happened. I would then contact a Lemon Law attorney in your area as most don’t request upfront money and get paid as part of the Lemon Law settlement. Good luck.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All GM needed to do here was hold up on their end of the deal and give you what they offered initially. Instead, some "manager" likely reviewed your file and said it didn't meet their "criteria" and told the CS agent to renege the offer. They've decided to play hardball with you.

I'm sorry it's going this way for you, but it seems to be you've done everything you can to be cordial with them and not go straight to the Lemon-Law process. I think avoiding the Lemon-Law process has worked out for some, but in other instances it's the only way to get GM to listen and give you a fair deal. They do NOT want to deal with Lemon-Law vehicles and I've yet to hear of someone going down that road that didn't then get reasonable compensation.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with the above ^^^^^

You have it in writing that they wanted to make it right. Sic a good lawyer on them and lemon that POS if it makes you and the family uncomfortable. There are many posts supporting that, and GM knows it.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long story short:

Engine blew during a road trip on highway at 85 mph, no warning, no lights, no previous issues. Just complete loss of power. Similar circumstances to everyone else.

Fast lane, highway speeds, holiday traffic. BARELY able to clear traffic and get off the interstate and even then could only get about 3 ft off the road due to enormous drop off of shoulder. 107 degree heat, no A/C, semis screaming by and shaking the car for more than an hour... There was nowhere for us to safely wait without walking leaving the car and walking a couple of miles. (Please note: Uber will not pick you up on the side of the highway, lol).

Now the back and forth with GM "customer care".

Car was repaired pretty quickly compared to others experiences, but the fact remains that I have zero confidence in the longevity of this car especially after learning that the car has likely been repaired with parts that are susceptible to the same failure. My kids are scared to ride in the car because the experience we had was unfavorable to them to say the least.

My simple requests of GM: rental reimbursement. extended warranty.

rental reimbursement seems to be going ok but based on the experience so far, until the check is in my hand and clears the bank, I remain skeptical.

The warranty request is a different issue. Initially the CC rep immediately responded to my email request where the circumstances were clearly outlined (including duration of repair time) with:

"I also see that you are requesting that the warranty on the repaired vehicle be extended as you have a justified concern that there may be ongoing problems with the car. I can absolutely assist you with that request and can do much better as I can offer you way more for this concern. So what I would like to offer you is the following:..."

The rep offered complementary onstar or 25,000 rewards points, pre-paid maintenance, a CCCL (Comprehensive Component Coverage Letter)... ...for a term of either 12 mos. or 15,000 miles from the end of your bumper-to-bumper warranty, whichever comes first and additional reward points.

i thought, OK, cool. All i wanted was the reimbursement for the unavoidable rental expense and a warranty but this offer is a nice act of contrition. Way to go GM!

I asked for clarity on the CCCL which the rep provided in detail. After a couple of questions and back and forth emails with the rep providing clarity and sending links for me to register for the GM rewards, they reneged.

Out of the blue the rep left a very matter-of-fact voice mail stating that they had made a mistake in the number of days of a parts delay and that because of that the offers made didn't apply and that if i wanted the warranty extended, id have to go through the dealer. Please keep in mind that the entire scenario, dates and every detail, receipts and repair orders was included in the email that I sent and requested the warranty.

Now, while I may be reimbursed for the rental cars, it is neither sufficient nor appropriate and I am looking at options.

If anyone has any advice or guidance, it would be appreciated. I will continue to update this thread and will include resolution.

thx
Side note Uber will pick you up on the side of the interstate, if the driver wants to that is. I did it for a guy with a beamer with a flat tire and no spare. He has run flat tires. Lol

whymeintrouble

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
after your story, and the others like it, it makes me sad to see this kind of quality being produced from any "domestic" vehicle company. I'm not up on lemon law, but I had thought it was a 3 of the same issue on the vehicle. again, I'm not expert, so wouldn't hurt consulting a lawyer. I would definitely go after them for not giving what they offered. That is 100% BS for them doing that. Good luck and hope you get the solution you are looking for.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you expect GM to give you more than they had originally promised you? Did they fix your truck under warranty? If yes, then it’s a done deal. They kept their word. I guess I don’t understand the question. I’m no GM apologist and I don’t think you’re out of line “asking“ for a bit more warranty but how would an extra 15 months make you kids feel “safer”?

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any updates on this situation? We've had our share of screw jobs from Onstar, not so much from GM since we've had no real problems, but curious as to how this was ultimately handled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar