tore apart the ole Govbomb 10bolt today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll probably get a better deal if you goto an offroad or rear end site ... I got 3.90 Yukons, rebuild kit with all new bearings, a solid pinion spacer and Ratech pinion depth tool for just over what Summit wanted for gears alone.

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
A

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
Hey retorq, did you put your rearend together yourself? howd the install go. worth trying it out before spending the money? Also why didnt you go with a crush sleeve instead of the spacer?
thanks!!

Matt- ill keep on eye out for those, i had no idea about tho haha. Im sure theyll be hard to find, but it opens up the search some.
I found a 14bolt in michigan from a 454ss truck that has the 5lug axles, might check that outthis weekend

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey retorq, did you put your rearend together yourself? howd the install go. worth trying it out before spending the money? Also why didnt you go with a crush sleeve instead of the spacer?
thanks!!

Yep I did it myself, literally in my garage with the truck on jack stands, the rear end still in the truck ...

http://www.route66wingsandwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2755&p=21884

Install went OK, but I'm fairly mechanical, I've rebuilt engines, moded heads, rebuilt a tranny or two so ... I went with the solid spacer because getting the torque needed to crush the spacer with the rear still in the truck was going to be next to impossible. It was worth it for me. If this isn't your primary vehicle it will be worth it for you. :D

OP
OP
A

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
yea i heard those crush sleeves are a PITA! people standing on 8 foot breaker bars and all kinds of shit. Is there any shims in doing these rearends?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i heard those crush sleeves are a PITA! people standing on 8 foot breaker bars and all kinds of shit. Is there any shims in doing these rearends?

Yes there are shims that will go behind the pinion bearing and shims on each side of the carrier bearings ... The old pinion bearing will need to be pressed off, the new one will usually slide on if the center is heated and the pinion is cold.

OP
OP
A

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
alright. picked my 456 gears.. now tru-trac or eaton posi????? both the same price

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

ehhh, made up my mind.. trutrac it is. lol now, i need to buy this shit and install it.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright. picked my 456 gears.. now tru-trac or eaton posi????? both the same price

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

ehhh, made up my mind.. trutrac it is. lol now, i need to buy this shit and install it.

good man...

that thing is gonna rip...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove