Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Going back some-- my work van, hot idle around 45 psi but still tapping. Mechanic put in a Melling hv a month or so ago. 20200225_151438.jpg
Notice the mileage! I found out the guy uses synthetic oil. This motor was obviously neglected. I think the synthetic loosened the ceusty crap off and possibly clogged the pick up, and maybe the oil galleries--starving the bearings. Just my guess tho. All this still doesn't explain why the Tahoe motor is screwed up. That motor was pretty clean inside when I bought it--plus I'm religious with my oil changes.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I know I’m a little late to the game but a few things I’ve learned in the short time I’ve been dealing with the LS engine.
The ‘03 6.0 should have a casting number of 12551364, 12573581 or 12577184
Going by the VIN only tells you what it came with, not what is in it. I’ve learned that the hard way on more than one occasion.
The 862 heads do raise compression a bit due to the 61cc chamber volume but they only have 1.88/1.55 valves and 200/70 port volume.
The 243 heads are what I’m always after due to the 64.5cc chamber, 2.00/1.55 valves and 210/75 ports.
873/317 heads are identical to the 243 heads but they have 71cc chambers. You can get a little more stroke out of them with a little more piston protrusion. (Dome top pistons)
GenIV engines started as early as ‘05 with the LS2 and was the only GenIV to use GenIII cathedral intake ports. One clear indication of a GenIV over a GenIII is the placement of the knock sensors, they went from under the intake to the side of the engine. The cam sensor went to the front cover which is deeper. The crank reluctor also changed from 24x to 58x. The GenIV has a gray connector on crank sensor instead of black. Also the MAP sensor is placed on top of intake towards the front. ALL, GenIV engines are DBW too.
I hope you can get all this BS behind you soon brother. Nothing worse than not having trust in a vehicle you depend on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
I know I’m a little late to the game but a few things I’ve learned in the short time I’ve been dealing with the LS engine.
Going by the VIN only tells you what it came with, not what is in it. I’ve learned that the hard way on more than one occasion.
The 862 heads do raise compression a bit due to the 61cc chamber volume but they only have 1.88/1.55 valves and 200/70 port volume.
The 243 heads are what I’m always after due to the 64.5cc chamber, 2.00/1.55 valves and 210/75 ports.
873/317 heads are identical to the 243 heads but they have 71cc chambers. You can get a little more stroke out of them with a little more piston protrusion. (Dome top pistons)
GenIV engines started as early as ‘05 with the LS2 and was the only GenIV to use GenIII cathedral intake ports. One clear indication of a GenIV over a GenIII is the placement of the knock sensors, they went from under the intake to the side of the engine. The cam sensor went to the front cover which is deeper. The crank reluctor also changed from 24x to 58x. The GenIV has a gray connector on crank sensor instead of black. Also the MAP sensor is placed on top of intake towards the front. ALL, GenIV engines are DBW too.
I hope you can get all this BS behind you soon brother. Nothing worse than not having trust in a vehicle you depend on.

This made my brain hurt I'll be honest with you

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
This made my brain hurt I'll be honest with you
Lol, don't feel bad, it's alot of good info.

Thx Jim. Next time I'm at my buddy's I'll check those block numbers.
Going back some-- my work van, hot idle around 45 psi but still tapping. Mechanic put in a Melling hv a month or so ago. View attachment 241335
Notice the mileage! I found out the guy uses synthetic oil. This motor was obviously neglected. I think the synthetic loosened the ceusty crap off and possibly clogged the pick up, and maybe the oil galleries--starving the bearings. Just my guess tho. All this still doesn't explain why the Tahoe motor is screwed up. That motor was pretty clean inside when I bought it--plus I'm religious with my oil changes.
Van Update: Weird. The tapoing has stopped! I'm super happy, especially if no damage occured--doubtful tho. I hope I can get to 200,000 on it.
Here's a pic running at 80 mph. Notice that oil pressure.20200301_064128.jpg
This is with a Melling hv pump and 10w-30 oil. Guess I'll stick with 10w-30 oil changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk