Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Damn! Did you yank the engine or work on that while still in the vehicle? Either way, good job, because I certainly would just walk away from it. I have a 06 3500 express van with about 355,000 miles and I just developed a misfire. Are you going to replace the short block and reuse the accessories?
No, I wish. That's when the mechanic pulled the front cover and oil pan to try to save the motor by putting in a hv oil pump. Didn't help. This motor was severely neglected. I bought it with 110,000, I've been religious with my oil changes--every 2500-3000 miles--so this damage isn't from me. So I'm still driving it with 0 oil pressure, and it's tapping away. I have to drive it like a stick, with 2 feet--to keep the revs up--just to get a little oil pressure.

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the oil pan and check the pan for material, if none is found, check the pickup tube to see if it's clogged or if the o-ring is worn. Dumb question, but are you relying on the gauge in the cluster or have you verified no pressure with an actual gauge?

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Pull the oil pan and check the pan for material, if none is found, check the pickup tube to see if it's clogged or if the o-ring is worn. Dumb question, but are you relying on the gauge in the cluster or have you verified no pressure with an actual gauge?
I don't think there was metal in the pan. O ring was still soft and pliable with no nicks. I'm ashamed to say it, but yes I'm going by the cluster gauge. I did borrow a manual gauge--finally--gonna try to do it tomorrow. Sux because I have to pull out the front passenger seat to get the doghouse out and it's supposed to rain tomorrow--and I don't have a garage. I figured there's no rush now since it's tapping already--damage is done. Pick up tube wasn't really clogged. There was a small amount of debris on it, but not enough to even being close to clogging the screen. Mechanic just texted me and said there wasn't really any metal in the pan--whatever that means. I'm guessing nothing notable was in there.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dammit. Your mechanic was right there at the tube- he should've blasted it with compressed air. Hell, I would've at least tried to fill the tube with oil to see if it held (indicating plugged screen), then forced that out with the air, followed by plenty of brake parts and/or carb cleaner.

If there's sludge built up like that on the front cover, it's everywhere, including the pan. It could've collected on the pickup screen over time and just recently had the last bit of screen blocked off. That's how my brother's went down. The average pressure gradually got lower over the course of about a week until he made a turn then accelerated and it just went to "0" and started tapping. His was sludged up from being mixed with coolant. Never had a milkshake cuz it was such a small amount and it burned off, but the remaining chemicals made the oil thick and sticky.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Dammit. Your mechanic was right there at the tube- he should've blasted it with compressed air. Hell, I would've at least tried to fill the tube with oil to see if it held (indicating plugged screen), then forced that out with the air, followed by plenty of brake parts and/or carb cleaner.

If there's sludge built up like that on the front cover, it's everywhere, including the pan. It could've collected on the pickup screen over time and just recently had the last bit of screen blocked off. That's how my brother's went down. The average pressure gradually got lower over the course of about a week until he made a turn then accelerated and it just went to "0" and started tapping. His was sludged up from being mixed with coolant. Never had a milkshake cuz it was such a small amount and it burned off, but the remaining chemicals made the oil thick and sticky.
Imo--he's a transmission guy, not really a mechanic mechanic--if that makes sense.

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think there was metal in the pan. O ring was still soft and pliable with no nicks. I'm ashamed to say it, but yes I'm going by the cluster gauge. I did borrow a manual gauge--finally--gonna try to do it tomorrow. Sux because I have to pull out the front passenger seat to get the doghouse out and it's supposed to rain tomorrow--and I don't have a garage. I figured there's no rush now since it's tapping already--damage is done. Pick up tube wasn't really clogged. There was a small amount of debris on it, but not enough to even being close to clogging the screen. Mechanic just texted me and said there wasn't really any metal in the pan--whatever that means. I'm guessing nothing notable was in there.

I wouldn’t say it was done yet, just because it’s ticking. Is the noise coming from the top end or the bottom end?

I understand about removing the passenger seat to get the dog house out of the way, but once you do it’s smooth sailing from there. Leave the passenger seat out if your gonna be going In and out of there.

if you feel comfortable doing it, remove the y pipe and re-drop the pan and fill the tube with oil to see if it comes out the bottom of the engine. If it doesn’t, you have a clog. It may still be able to salvage the engine if you haven’t damaged the internals.

if you don’t really care about the engine, come up to Michigan to my local Upull and grab another 5.3 for 100 dollars just so you have a backup.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Kind of hard to tell where the ticking is coming from. I don't leave it running at idle--so it's hard to tell. I doubt the pick up is clogged, as oil did squirt out of the oil pressure sensor hole with the sensor removed. Also there was very, very little debris on the pick up screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401