Tire Wear and Ball Joint Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2000 z71 Tahoe and I noticed the outside of my tires (by outside I mean just the side facing away from the vehicle, not both) were wearing faster. I had ball joints put on it at about 60K ago(MOOG), then summer before last I adjusted the torsion bars up about a half inch and had it realigned. Last summer I went from outer tie rod to outer tie rod with all new stuff (MOOG). Got it realigned and the guy that did it was a real smart ass about it because I had done it myself.(About 6K after the ball joint job, which I got this guy to do, the nut backed of the stud of the ball joint due to him not putting a cotter pin on it. Luckily I was going about 15 when it came off). When I got it aligned after the steering job said something to the extent of not wanting to work on someone else's problem to which I replied, "Well there's several cotter pins involved so I didn't want to take a chance". Back to my question, I undestand that the tire is riding on the outside, but what causes that? Poor alignment job, ball joints going out? I know these trucks eat ball joints for lunch but I kept them greased frequently and I feel no play from top to bottom, or side to side. Any opinions?

As for ball joint replacement, I have read that the worst part is getting the rivets out of the upper A arm. Since this had already been done, is it just a unbolt and replace? I know the lower is press in and will cross that bridge when I get there. Does the half shaft have to be removed? Should I go ahead and do wheel bearings while I am there? Thanks for the help.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
either some bad camber or a little toe measurement..if they are bolted then yes. but still need to whack the anchor that goes thru the control arm. Don't worry bout bearings if not needed. Remove the shaft for the bottom ones.

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

do your alignment with someone in the drivers seat as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork