Time for a water pump, but a few questions first.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am no mechanic. Brakes, batteries, and oil changes are about the extent of my current ability.

So after locating the source of a huge puddle under the tahoe and an empty coolant reservoir and leaking from the water pump I figure it's time for a new one. This is a task I'll be attempting on my own, only because I have help if I need it.

I'm also considering changing the belt and thermostat while things are taken apart. Does this sound like a good idea? I figure I have the extra cash so why not do it.

I'm just wondering something about the water pump. I was on rock auto and figure I'll get the acdelco factory oem part. I'd also like to eventually make a few bolt on performance upgrades. Nothing to crazy because it's my daily driver and has over 226K miles(I plan on doing a engine rebuild when the time comes) So it got me wondering if there was a better option than the acdelco ?

On a side note, with milage getting up there anything else I should be on the look out for or should consider doing along with the water pump?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

dreeveal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can do it! If you can do a solid brake job you can do this. Just give yourself time and watch a bunch of youtube vids.

• Belts and t-stat is a good idea, especially if you don't know when they were changed last. There is some question on which t-stat to use for which engine, make sure you order the right one.
  • While you do the belts, do all of the easily serviceable pulleys and tensioners, they are super simple.
  • I'd check and replace any hoses that look swollen or malformed, super cheap. Clamps too.
  • No opinion from me on the brand of water pump other than that I have never gone wrong with a RockAuto part that had the "heart" next to it. I actually have one (I went with a Gates 45005) still in the box because I was going to replace it when I did my oil pump, but it was shipped too late so I buttoned her up before it arrived. If you were closer to me I'd give it to you.
  • RE: rebuild - when the time comes, from what I hear, replacing the LS or LQ engine with a warrantied reman swap is a better route than a DIY rebuild, but I don't know, it's just what I've read.
  • If you are super motivated you can go deeper and replace your oil pump. I personally wouldn't, but some say to given your mileage. The oil pump per se doesn't go bad too often, but there is an o ring and a piston that are part of it that do. My personal opinion after replacing mine and reading/watching a ton is that the o-ring is usually the culprit - it was with me. The o-ring can be done can be much more easily and safely by going from underneath and dropping the oil pan rather than having to mess with taking off the harmonic balancer and all that jazz.
These are just my amateur opinions, I am certainly no mechanic, but I've been through plenty of mechanics that had no business changing my oil, which is why I try to do most of it myself.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the water pump is a pretty easy job. I’ve got about the same level of mechanical skills, and I did it in my driveway. Took about an hour and a half just cuz I was taking my time. I did the belt and Tstat while I had it apart as well, easy swap out. Once it was all buttoned up, some fresh coolant and it was good to go. Like he said above^ take your time and watch lots of videos. 1Aauto.com has a ton of helpful how to videos on just about anything car related. Good place to start with videos and they’ll show you a suburban which will be the same setup as your tahoe so it ends up being a pretty detailed and accurate how to video.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@cntryislandboy

Lots of good suggestions already. If you don't have a service manual of some sort, it's never a bad idea to have 1 handy. Not completely necessary especially if you have bookmarked a couple of YouTube videos. The tutorials are a wealth of information and insight for the job that lay ahead, the tools required, and the average amount of time for the job but very rarely does any repair go without a hiccup. With a workshop manual, all of the steps are right in front of you, no forward & rewind searching for the part which you are hung-up. A manual will also have torque specs for the fasteners, which is the most important info dealing with repair like water pump. It's the details such as torque spec, gasket prep and sealant type/usage that will determine a proper 'remove & replace.' Water pump replace is pretty vanilla far as R&R level of difficulty I would just advise use of new gaskets with respective pump & thermostat, prep surfaces well with rubbing alcohol then install everything dry. Never use RTV or sealant unless specified by the manufacturer literature, where it will describe exactly how much of it & where it is to be used.
OEM pump & Tstat is more than adequate for your application. Take a look at the condition of the AC belt: you will likely find that belt & tensioner needing replacement along with the main drive. Review the necessary info for refilling the coolant & purging the air out.

Yoslick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long as I had the water pump off I did the oil pump change out as well, took me exactly 9 hours and most of it was wasted with the coming and going of the Harmonic Balancer, what a pain, the chrysler 3 jaw HB puller was a god send!! Oh dont forget the tensioner and belt for the AC pump as well, didn't realize it was its own entity and not part of the main serpentine, local parts house luckily had both.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia