Tighten up my '99 4dr TAHOE!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
Here is what i got (all stock):
'99 4x4 LT Tahoe w/Bilsteins

Here is what ordered:
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
Polyurethane Bushings for Front/Rear Swaybars and End Links

I checked out the aftermarket sway bars, but didn't think it was worth the money so i went with polyurethane instead...was I wrong?

I'm open to all recommendations and ideas. My goal is to tighten up the truck b/c in its stock config, it's too sloppy for me.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
If your looking to "tighten up" the steering i would go in there and replace parts, depending on how many miles you have the two big ones would be idler and pitman arms and possibly your tierods. It will make a world of difference, the steering stabilizer will help some, but it wont really tighten anything up so to speak. Worn out idler arms on our trucks are notorious for creating a lot of slop in steering so i would check the condition of yours.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what ordered:
Rancho Steering Stabilizer

Funny, I've been thinking about this over the last week or so.

I'm starting to get annoyed about the level of bump steer in my truck.
Technically my truck's front end should be ok. I just had it in our garage a couple of months ago for it's annual 'fix what's wrong' session.

I figure that a steering stabilizer would work nice. A quick google search showed that they are for lifted rigs though?

My rig is stock like yours, so I was wondering what was the part number of the Rancho kit that you ordered?

Thanks.

OP
OP
S

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice.

Rig has 79k and driven like a baby, so I don't think it's the mechanics b/c it still drives like it's new...but I'll def check those items out, b/c its certainly possible for some premature wear.

Here is the Rancho i ordered:
http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A2660A0A0.aspx

You might be able to find it cheaper at other places...i went with these guys b/c i got 15% off, free shipping, and a bunch of other parts. You don't need a lifted truck in order to use the stabilizer, but all lifted strucks should have them.

Here is the link for the polyurethane...they had tie rod and front/back sway in stock so i went with them:
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran a rancho stabilizer on my stock height truck. I got it from Summit I think for $60

OP
OP
S

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
99 Yuk - i saw in your signature you were thinking of K&N or Volant...ever make the choice?

My hesitation with K&N is that when your truck gets hot, it sucks in a lot more hot air so their hp gains are out the window. But i've never used a Volant, any thoughts?

On a side note - I also have a '89 Fox body and a lot of us Fox body guys opted for the upgraded fender mounted air boxes instead of K&N b/c of the hot air issue.

Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, lets not derail the suspension portion of this post...i'm still looking for ideas :)

cmcarr85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should fix some but I would still check the pitman and idler arm.. I was told mine were replaced when I picked the truck up and when we just took them out and replaced them they were not factory but still not looking to good. Let me tell you the world of difference these make.

Good Luck

OP
OP
S

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
great - let me know how that works for you!!

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99 Yuk - i saw in your signature you were thinking of K&N or Volant...ever make the choice?

My hesitation with K&N is that when your truck gets hot, it sucks in a lot more hot air so their hp gains are out the window. But i've never used a Volant, any thoughts?

On a side note - I also have a '89 Fox body and a lot of us Fox body guys opted for the upgraded fender mounted air boxes instead of K&N b/c of the hot air issue.

Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, lets not derail the suspension portion of this post...i'm still looking for ideas :)

no, no real thougths at all... I'm likeing the K&N so far. Best price I found in Canada was $338, Amazon doesn't ship to Canada.... For no other reason than the comparitive pics of K&N and Volant. The K&N pics appear tobe not using the stock sensors and a nice clean bigger run to the TB. The Volant pics appear to show a decrease in diameter size where the stock sensor is used. I know, shouldn't base a decision on pics, but the K&N simply looks to have a wider/bigger diameter to the TB...

I'm not sure about those heat shields. they appear to be the difference from the $400 heat shield box kits and the $60 Ebay kits. Do they actually work or do anything for you? Is the difference worth $340? Those Ebay kits look tempting, but I'd prefer to do it right.

Aren't those K&N and Volant kits already mounted on the fender wall? The pics make it look like that?

Anyways, I still have to do more research before I buy anything yet. I'm hoping for the more experienced guys here to give some edumecated input.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

great - let me know how that works for you!!

Huh, he just called back and said he's got one in TO, $90+taxes using the stock mounting brakets on the truck. Keystone has them for $140 with the mounting brackets.

In the morning, I have to go look at my truck to see if i have mounting brackets or not. He said some stock trucks do and some don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157