Tighten up my '99 4dr TAHOE!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollindeep

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Heads up

Just a heads up man the pitman arm and idler arm dont always actually "look" broken. They just get play in them. Its cheap and Id suggest getting it done cause it helped me out a ton. Same with my tie rods.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any play in your steering?
If so, pitman and idler arm are notorious to go and dont look bad but the holes end up getting hogged out over time from normal wear and tear, which causes play in the steering. The other overlooked area is the rag joint. Its that rubber disc that mounts to the lower steering shaft closest to the steering box. Same thing, weather, wear and tear tends to wear it out as well, though not as common as the other steering components but known to help if replaced.
I'm doing a complete overhaul to my steering system to eliminate all play, hopefully.
I have replaced,
inner and outer tierods
pitman arm
have on order or waiting to be installed
waiiting=AGR quick steer gear box
waiting=new steering lines
waiting=synthetic fluid
waiting=upper steering shaft
waiting=idler arm
on order lower shaft w/rag joint
more steering fluid, didnt order enough.

My goal is a tight quick steering system to go along with my Pro-Touring end goal.

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, these things just have sway bars that are too small, at least my LT does. I was wondering if they made a Z71 option in 98-99 and how much larger diameter those sway bars might be.

Steering is fine, overall ride is good and tight...just too much roll in turns, at least compared to new trucks/suvs.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sloppy feel is also due to worn out suspension components. Bushing, sagging springs and worn out shocks, they hinder the ride dramatically. A larger bar would be help a lot in tightening up the ride.
My tahoe didnt come with a rear bar, I just put a Hellwig on a couple of weeks ago, night and day defference. Once I'm dropped with new leafs, Hotchkis coils, better shocks(still trying to figure out what shocks to go with) and larger front bar, I'll be ridin on rails. That along with some traction bars will tighten up my ride.

What part of NC you from?

OP
OP
S

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
No play in the steering..i actually just had it out for a 150m trip and it tightened up at speed as it should.

I guess I'm so used to my sports car, my expectations are on the high side everytime i jump in the rig.

Good advice on the steering components, i'll check them all out next time in feel the weekend wrench kicking in.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great - let me know how that works for you!!

Yay! It got installed today! I don't think it's a rancho though. It has a blue rubber boot. (I took some pics, but they are still in my phone.. Will post them tomorrow!) I don't know what kind the garage ordered for me.. I just print up what I want, show it to the old guy Mech, and he says yes or no. If it's yes, then I show it to our service manager, and he orders it for me.

Also, it's not mounted like Atomic's at all. Mine mounted up sideways, parrallel with the axle, not all diagonal like his. IDK. BTW, my truck did not have the stock mounting brackets. I needed a kit that included brackets.

The mechs took my truck for about 45 minutes, but that includes looking over the front end and rear brakes, and changing the serpintine belt, so I don't think that it took them very long to install the steering stab kit.

I drove home tonight from work, and I like it! No more jerks of the wheel going over bumps, etc. It feels much more solid.

I had our old guy Mech look over the front end today before my big trip, I mentioned the idler arm. He checked everything and said it was tight. There was a control arm bushing that had some play in it, but he wasn't worried about that. Or at least I think that's what he said.. I tend to gloss over on things like that. As long as he says he's not worried, I'm good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
i got my Rancho in last week but the damn thing didn't come with a boot cover...that really pissed me off bc it's such a cheap part. I'm calling them to see if they will send me one for free.

I was under the truck over the weekend and installing the bushings...i was amazed at how small the rear sway bar was. I second the question about the Z71 sway, anyone have specs on them?

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the pics of what I ended up getting!

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Sorry about the quality, comming from my cellphone...

I like it! The steering feels way more solid and stable in all driving conditions!

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to update.

<soapbox>
This thing rocks!

If you have any kind of wandering or bump steer, this makes it sooo easy to drive on the highway.

Even if your front end is tight with new parts, no play, wheel alignment, etc, this really makes a difference.

Before this install, I was fighting with my truck about where to go, even after a trip to our garage to replace parts, but this really tamed the ride. I was driving with a light grip on the wheel all ~7900kms. Wonder of wonders, I could even let go of the wheel, without risking anything. It tracked straight.

Money well spent.
That's it.
</soapbox>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645