Thumping in slow, tight turns - CV axles already changed...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sniper_x

Reaction score
I have changed the CV axles and cleaned/inspected the balance of the drive train, nose to tail.
No codes are found when checked.

However, during slow, tight turns (left or right turns), I hear a rhythmic thumping sound from the front end that speeds up or slows down with the RPM of the wheels.
It's not entirely consistent, but I can reproduce the condition almost 90% of the time when I try.

The hubs didn't seem loose when I tested the wheel by rocking the tire vertically.
The suspension joints also seem tight during all attempts to rock/wiggle/twist it around using the tire and pry bars.

This is quite disappointing, considering I just changed the CV axles with good, high-quality ones.
I'll leave these in place because the previous axles were getting old.

However, I don't know what else to check to determine the cause of this thumping.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year and model? Is it AWD or 2WD?

Can you replicate the noise on gravelnor grass? Or does it only happen on a hard surface?

How does the tire wear look side to side and front to rear (if AWD). Same size and brand?

Lastly, what is the fluid level/condition of the front differential?

OP
OP
S

sniper_x

Reaction score
What year and model? Is it AWD or 2WD?

Can you replicate the noise on gravelnor grass? Or does it only happen on a hard surface?

How does the tire wear look side to side and front to rear (if AWD). Same size and brand?

Lastly, what is the fluid level/condition of the front differential?

Oh yes.
Sorry.

2013 Chevy Tahoe LT
4WD/2WD/AUTO selector on dash

Trailer package with gain controller near the 4/2/auto selector knob

Tire wear is uniform and good

Only ever driven on streets / hard surfaces, also, no other surfaces available for driving either.

Can’t test on loose ground

Finally, braking doesn’t change the sound at all. Brakes rebuilt (new) and steel braided lines installed.

New brake rotors.

OP
OP
S

sniper_x

Reaction score
It's in Auto 4, and I've changed to 2WD for now.
I am about to go out and run some test turns and change the selector to each setting ans re-testing.

OP
OP
S

sniper_x

Reaction score
It's in Auto 4, and I've changed to 2WD for now.
I am about to go out and run some test turns and change the selector to each setting ans re-testing.

OK, for some strange reason, I can’t reproduce the thumping issue in turns now that I’ve gotten into a parking lot and got in the engine and transmission up to temperature.

I did, however, test all of my two-wheel and four-wheel-drive settings.

In 4 high (up arrow), on asphalt in the parking lot, the rear end jumps and chirps constantly while I’m in a turn and the front left and right wheels seem to be pulling/grinding the dirt in the pavement while turning.

I’m pretty sure this is because I’m not supposed to drive in four-wheel-drive on solid services.

However, I have done this before for other cars and have not seen this lurking/jumping/chirping from the rear end of my previous four-wheel-drive cars that were similar.

Finally, when going into 4 low (down arrow), the light flashes, and does not indicate a shift to follow.

EDIT/UPDATE: I forgot to shift into neutral before going into 4WD low.

4WD low seems to work fine and of course, the chirping occurs and turns again, but now it’s on the front so, I assume this is normal because the differentials are locked when in these settings?

Neither driving forward or backward in this condition allows it to shift into 4WD low.

I tried to post videos of this from my phone that I took during the tests but apparently, it’s not possible to post Videos?

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I tried to post videos of this from my phone that I took during the tests but apparently it’s not possible to post Videos?

Videos need to be posted to an external hosting site, like YouTube. Post the link to it in your message.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you found your problem.

I would avoid driving in Auto4WD unless you are planning on seeing changing road conditions like in the winter. Definitely don’t drive in 4HI when on dry pavement. 4LO should only be used in severe situations. In fact, I told my teenage son that if he is in a situation where he thinks he needs 4LO, he better be calling me since it means he most likely f’d up and is in deep with need of help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts