Could a CV axle be the cause?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Moose you may have saved someone a pile of cash, what causes the failure?

Moose912

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The differential in them is designed to have consistent load and continuous revolution. When it cant match that, it trashes the gears. (This is what I have been told). I looked a year ago at doing this to dyno my truck for tune, but was advised by multiples of this. Couple guys said you could cook it in under 10 minutes. Way I see it, if its even a 1% chance its possible, hell no.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance. He was going to remove the shaft and drive around the block so the front wheels are turning as is the output on the TC but I suppose there’s a chance one could spin more than the other. 1% is too much of a gamble for me too.

Moose912

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No ignorance there sir. We are all in this together and trying to learn what we can as we go!! :)

andyd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What you are describing is usually NOT a CV axle noise/symptom, so
I doubt it's the CV. Possibly bad wheel bearing, but you know how to
diagnose that by driving and putting load from left to right to see
if it changes.
My guess would be the diff... sorry
I would also agree i had a simular issue and I purchased a used diff knowing it would need a rebuild. While rebuilding I discovered that the outer snub shaft bearing were shot along with the outer carrier bearings. They were not that bad but I did get the noise you described.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chavez_212