Popping sound from driver side front.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2009 Tahoe LT with 4WD with 140K miles. This vehicle also has a 2" ReadyLift leveling kit (spacer on top of coil-over).

I have been getting a popping or thumping sound coming from the driver-side front area that usually happens when the wheels are turned to go right. I don't get this all the time, but I have heard happen when I am backing out of my sloped driveway and turning the truck to get on the street. I also have heard it pop when turning right into a parking space. I also have heard it doing this sound backing out of my garage after it has set, and I maybe changed the steering a little. It's not constant, it will just make this popping sound and not do it again until next time.

I did jack up the front end and checked for any play in the wheel by grabbing at 12 and 6, and 3 and 9 and I did not get any so I think it's not my ball joints. I checked the sway bar links on both sides and they are both tight and the links are not broken. I also checked the left front tie rod end to see if there is any play by grabbing and trying to see if it would move and I did not have any, nor did I see any sign of wear.

I did have the left CV axel replaced because the old one had a torn boot, so I am beginning to suspect that it's the problem. The part I replaced the old one with is an ACDelco 22789359 which is the same as my old part. I did struggle some putting the hub nut from the old axel on to this new one - the threads were tighter and had a hard time getting the nut to turn. I did not cross thread because I was able to back it off and see if there was any thread damage and then retested the not on the old axel to verify I did not trash the nut. I did get the not to set, but it was a struggle with my impact wrench. However, I do seem to recall getting a similar sound before I replaced the axel, but it's been a while I may be recalling something else.

I am half tempted to put the old CV axel back on to see if the problem goes away, but as you know, that is a lot of work.

Right now, I am stuck trying to find out the cause of this sound and don't want to go down the route of replacing parts until I am more positive about the root cause.

Given what I have described, would you suspect it's the CV axel that is giving off this sound? If not, then what do you think might be the cause and where I should do further inspection?

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a popping sound in the same location, mainly on slow sharp turns. I did notice that the upper ball joint squeezed any grease out of the fitting that I put in, so I am suspecting the upper ball joint in my case.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are bushings in the mounts that the front differential bolts to. There are two bushings in the rack and pinion that attach it to the frame. My first thought was sway bar end link bushings and lower control arm bushings but you ruled those out so check the aforementioned.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Any reason to think it may be the CV or hub? I really would like to rule these out.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I think tomorrow I am going to maybe disconnect the sway bar links to see if it stops. Part of me is still thinking it might be those links.
I am also going to throw a GoPro on too and maybe it can capture what part is throwing the sound. I'll check the rack and pinion mounts too but I am suspecting that if it was the problem I would hear it every time I turn and in each direction.

The only front diff mounting bushings are just on the bracket the diff mounts to. Those look tight but will check them anyway.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI: moving the wheel at 3-9 & 12-6 only checks for wheel bearing or tie rods...
Ball joints don't get checked this way

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the sway bar links totally disconnected and then a test drive, I am still getting that popping sound. So it's definitely not the sway bar links.

Got a video of the popping sound this morning. You can hear at about 0:47, 1:47, and 2:30

I lifted the Tahoe by the left lower control arm and did the 12 to 6 wobble on the tire. There is a little play going on, and you can hear a thumping sound when the tire is moved in the 12 to 6. I got another video of the upper ball joint with some help from a helper.

I was using the methods on Moog for ball joint tests. If their methods to test ball joints are wrong, then I hope you will share that information.

I have also checked the rack and pinion mounts and they are tight and show no sign of wear. Differential mounts appear fine, too.

At this point, I am suspecting it's the upper ball joint making the popping sound. However, I am not certain.

After reviewing these videos, what do you think it might be that is making the noise.

Last edited:

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moog test is correct, Usually it is vertical play that Pops. Usually the lower joint. Uppers do fail from no grease or mileage/wear, same as lowers.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

With my videos and everything I have described, does it seem like it's my ball joints that are giving this popping sound? I really would like to isolate where this sound is coming from when I drive my Tahoe and get this fixed.

Do the videos give any indication that at least the upper ball joint is bad?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout