Thinking of trying a computer 10.4 inch install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003tahoe4

Reaction score
Ok im thinking of maybe trying to install a 10 inch touchscreen in the cubby hole on my 2003 tahoe, well that depends on how much work and cost it will need, well I was wondering if there would be away to just use my laptop as the computer hardrive, that way I can take it in and out, so I wouldnt have to build a permenat comp, I dont know if it would work or not, but basically i want to use this in car comp for my itunes, i think it would be cool to control my itunes, well I dont know how I could run all this, cause I still would have my kenwood ddx-812 in the dash to run my dvd/cd drive and my audio control and sounds I dont know how i could connect it all together to work, since i would run my itunes off the computer, and i also would want my deck functional and also would want it connected to the monitor for movies anybody got some advice

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
search some videos on youtube of Steve Meade's install of his mac mini
he does a step by step on how to install a touchscreen in the bezel and then how to get a computer to run on a 12v setup as well as how he wired it into his system :)

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

or just get an iPad :D

OP
OP

2003tahoe4

Reaction score
hey man thanks yea ive seen it before just thought i would ask if anyone had experience or advice to help me out, and you have a bad ass hoe man ive watched your videos on youtube and checked out your build log just the other day, some day i want to do some mods like yours to mine, but for now have to wait, i just got it a few months ago so it will be stock looks wise, thanks

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
thanks dude!!
what exactly do you want to know?
I know the basic path of how to accomplish getting a computer to work with your system

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have done this in my jag.. i ran it off a cheap ebay laptop.. with a 15? shit i dont remember now.. inch touch screen.. laptop is in the trunk.. ran to be in hibernate.. wakeup on mouse.. the screen is the mouse.. so when i touch it the whole system wakes up. Ran audio out to one of the A/V channels on the hu

also have a BT dongle in it iwth hand held bluetooth keyboard and playstation style remotes

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

maybe its a 13.5

The screen BEHIND the flip out is the one hooked to the pc

l_d52c3fa9ba0e4f869b875eab938b9b64.png

l_6e4e0ad78b5f49dab94119a4eae4eb00.png

OP
OP

2003tahoe4

Reaction score
well how much do the mini macs run are they a full computer hard drive with windows xp built in, steve has it setup on a power supply? i guess i would have to have one of them, bassically i like that the mac is all in one piece would be eaisier to deal with, I may go the route of the mac if it isnt to much, I would just get a touchscreen monitor, the main thing i need to know is how I could run it all together through my deck, like how would I wire it up, the laptop i would like to try first since i have one already till i could afford a mac, how would I get the audio to the deck from my laptop? would it be poorer quality

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well how much do the mini macs run are they a full computer hard drive with windows xp built in, steve has it setup on a power supply? i guess i would have to have one of them, bassically i like that the mac is all in one piece would be eaisier to deal with, I may go the route of the mac if it isnt to much, I would just get a touchscreen monitor, the main thing i need to know is how I could run it all together through my deck, like how would I wire it up, the laptop i would like to try first since i have one already till i could afford a mac, how would I get the audio to the deck from my laptop? would it be poorer quality

Well first of all NO.. a mini MAC will NOT have WINDOWS XP built in... ill finish reading your post now...... brb

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

Running the laptop to the screen is simple... running the sound to your deck is just as easy as plugging a headphone jack into it and an RCA adapter .. then to your headunit..

Running video out of the laptop to anything other than the touchscreen takes a booster and adapter kit.. but thats all pretty basic stuff for anyone running more than a few screens anyway.

OP
OP

2003tahoe4

Reaction score
ok well i could install xp on it, also do you know if they have builtin wi-fi also well what is a booster and adapter kit, im not familiar with running more screens, well what if my laptop doesnt have RCAs, and if I just ran it out of the headphone jack, where could i hook it up on the deck? would i loose sound quality

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
I would suggest NOT buying a mac if you are just going to install windows on it.. please

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok well i could install xp on it, also do you know if they have builtin wi-fi also well what is a booster and adapter kit, im not familiar with running more screens, well what if my laptop doesnt have RCAs, and if I just ran it out of the headphone jack, where could i hook it up on the deck? would i loose sound quality

You run the headphone jack out to the adapter and into the RCAs in the headunit..

you run the Video out (VGA) to the touch screen. OR to a signal booster with VGA and RCA out

You can do this without losing sound or video quality

I have WIFI and TMOus 3G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas