Installed new seat motor now only works 1 inch at a time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Burges

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004 Yukon My motor that controls the front and back got stiff and started melting circuit breakers. So I found a nice used salvage yard motor that works smooth and great. The only problem is it only goes an inch at a time before it shuts off.
The old motor had a separate plug going into it with three small wires and a tiny circuit board that I assumed went to the seat computer. I’m guessing that some information was coming to the computer that told the motor to keep running. I hate to start touching wires together in frying my computer. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks so much for your help.

RoadTrip

Reaction score
My best guess: That tiny circuit board on the old motor may have been a voltage regulator . The new motor probably has an internal thermal shutoff if the current is too high for too long.

There are so many of these trucks out there, you should be able to find the same one in a bone yard or online. That will solve your problem.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the old motor was drawing enough current that it was damaging upstream electrical components as you say, it was likely due to being overloaded because something binding up in the mechanism. If that binding is still there, the new motor will have issues as well. The motor maybe just a symptom, not the cause. I’d give the whole seat mechanism a thorough inspection, lubricate the moving parts and see if that helps.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
S

Steve Burges

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If the old motor was drawing enough current that it was damaging upstream electrical components as you say, it was likely due to being overloaded because something binding up in the mechanism. If that binding is still there, the new motor will have issues as well. The motor maybe just a symptom, not the cause. I’d give the whole seat mechanism a thorough inspection, lubricate the moving parts and see if that helps.
I had already cleaned and lubed the long screws that moves the seat back and forth. It runs so fast and quiet now. But only goes an inch at a time.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can you unbolt the seat and lean it back, leaving it connected electrically? Then exercise the track to see if it still will go only an inch? Kind of a no-load test.

EDIT: is the new seat switch good? Maybe swap the one from the old seat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts