Thinking of trying a computer 10.4 inch install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

2003tahoe4

Reaction score
what should i run on a mac, and what does a adapter and booster look like, so the 3.5mm headphone jack would plug into a adapter that would convert it to rcas? well what Rca, Front rear on my deck would i use, or could I use one of my audio/video cables which would that work being there outputs and not inputs, also would this way still work for my deck to be the dvd/cd player on the 10 inch screen also, would i also have to run a rca from the deck to the monitor? also did you run a power invertor on your laptop? was you able to remove it with no problems when u wanted the laptop

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

well also I want to do a touchscreen so how would that work with the laptop, does it automatically read touchscreen to make it work, would i need a special adaptor for my laptop or is it built into the screen also if I ran audio cable to the deck, would I just use red and white rcas, cause I also have a video and audio 3.5mm jacks for my ipod adaptor do you think I could use those, also If I did run it this way would I probally only be able to hear the audio and view the laptop on the A/V source on my deck since that would be what it would be hooked up to? how would I also run my dvd to the screen cause thats a different source? do you think my deck could control the laptop to cause its touchscreen thanks guys for the help

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what should i run on a mac, and what does a adapter and booster look like, so the 3.5mm headphone jack would plug into a adapter that would convert it to rcas? well what Rca, Front rear on my deck would i use, or could I use one of my audio/video cables which would that work being there outputs and not inputs, also would this way still work for my deck to be the dvd/cd player on the 10 inch screen also, would i also have to run a rca from the deck to the monitor? also did you run a power invertor on your laptop? was you able to remove it with no problems when u wanted the laptop

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

well also I want to do a touchscreen so how would that work with the laptop, does it automatically read touchscreen to make it work, would i need a special adaptor for my laptop or is it built into the screen also if I ran audio cable to the deck, would I just use red and white rcas, cause I also have a video and audio 3.5mm jacks for my ipod adaptor do you think I could use those, also If I did run it this way would I probally only be able to hear the audio and view the laptop on the A/V source on my deck since that would be what it would be hooked up to? how would I also run my dvd to the screen cause thats a different source? do you think my deck could control the laptop to cause its touchscreen thanks guys for the help

sounds like its possible this project might be a hair over your head.. and i dont wanna see you get too deep in it and not be able to get it finished.. so it might be better to let a pro help...

But... there is a USB cord on the touchscreen and mouse drivers so the screen acts like a mouse... .yes you can just go 3.5 to 3.5 ... if youre gonna run it off the touchscreen and the headunit youre gonna have to find an adapter to split the signal.. you have to find an adapter to run a VGA in with a VGA out for the touchscreen AND Video RCA out... for the Headunit.

They make them .. and if youre gonna do this on your own youre gonna have to just do some research and find it.

OP
OP

2003tahoe4

Reaction score
Ok well I think I will try it, it doesnt sound to hard, and since it will be ran on my laptop, I really i just want itunes for now i dont care to search the web or anything right now, how did you power ur laptop, I would like to hardwire the wire Into the vehicle with a power invertor, I guess it would need a 18volt convertor, well I also have a power invertor cigeratte plug that I have used for it to run but its loud, I might just do that, so i could take it in and out easy. Also what is the VGA for, Ok Im going to run through this quick of what I got and know so far, Ok so I will need to run a 3.5mm wire from my headphone jack on the laptop, to my audio In Ipod Jack on the back of my deck, or buy a 3.5mm jack adaptor to RCA and run the audio to the AV1 input on the back, this would control the audio signal, ok I would need a VGA adaptor, have a VGA wire goin into the adaptor from the Laptop, that would convert to a Video RCA, or could I just run the VGA from laptop straight to the Screen, then from the screen have a VGA comin out to the adaptor then It would Convert to the Video RCA that I would plug into the AV1 video plug? then I would have a USB from the Laptop to screen for the touchscreen cappabilities and would have to download touchscreen software and or driver, also would have a USB from laptop to screen for my mouse, which would be on screen, and would need software and or driver for that is this sound bout right also I have 2 USB inputs on my deck would I also need one for it

you have done it before so I appreciate the help man was you able to use your flipout still as your dvd player to your monitor

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

also do you think it would be possible to just use my deck as the monitor for awhile till I could afford a 10 inch, my deck has touchscreen and 2 USB inputs, do you think my deck would have to have the software too, or just the computer, and just use the adaptor to conevrt the VGA to RCA

Last edited:

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok well I think I will try it, it doesnt sound to hard, and since it will be ran on my laptop, I really i just want itunes for now i dont care to search the web or anything right now, how did you power ur laptop, I would like to hardwire the wire Into the vehicle with a power invertor, I guess it would need a 18volt convertor, well I also have a power invertor cigeratte plug that I have used for it to run but its loud, I might just do that, so i could take it in and out easy. Also what is the VGA for, Ok Im going to run through this quick of what I got and know so far, Ok so I will need to run a 3.5mm wire from my headphone jack on the laptop, to my audio In Ipod Jack on the back of my deck, or buy a 3.5mm jack adaptor to RCA and run the audio to the AV1 input on the back, this would control the audio signal, ok I would need a VGA adaptor, have a VGA wire goin into the adaptor from the Laptop, that would convert to a Video RCA, or could I just run the VGA from laptop straight to the Screen, then from the screen have a VGA comin out to the adaptor then It would Convert to the Video RCA that I would plug into the AV1 video plug? then I would have a USB from the Laptop to screen for the touchscreen cappabilities and would have to download touchscreen software and or driver, also would have a USB from laptop to screen for my mouse, which would be on screen, and would need software and or driver for that is this sound bout right also I have 2 USB inputs on my deck would I also need one for it

you have done it before so I appreciate the help man was you able to use your flipout still as your dvd player to your monitor

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

also do you think it would be possible to just use my deck as the monitor for awhile till I could afford a 10 inch, my deck has touchscreen and 2 USB inputs, do you think my deck would have to have the software too, or just the computer, and just use the adaptor to conevrt the VGA to RCA

the usb on your deck is probably not gonna work.. and i cant possibly tell you why.. since its just a guess... lol

Huck

Whut Thee Huck?!
Reaction score

You can't use your current HU as a touchscreen for your PC, because it doesn't have the appropriate inputs.

Before you do this project you should ask yourself WHY are you doing it? What do want to get out of it? The headunits coming out now are so advanced that adding a PC to your car doesn't gain you that much. You get WiFi connectivity, and that's about it. Video, audio, navigation, etc. can all be accomplished with a moderately priced HU.

Make a list that shows you the costs of putting a PC in your truck. PC, Touchscreen, adapters, etc. Unless you have a spare laptop or mac mini laying around, I doubt you'll do better than what you can get paying $600 and installing a good HU.

If you're still hell bent on putting one in, at this point, I'd suggest buying all the components yourself and paying a professional to install it.

Just my $0.02

OP
OP

2003tahoe4

Reaction score
Lol well my deck is a 600 dollar deck, I just want to try something different and I think it would be cool to have the internet option and I want to be able to control my itunes, and have my deck for sound control dvd/cd player, navi, Ok so what kind of input would i need on my deck, would a usb not work as a input? well I was hoping the deck would work for awhile till I could get a touchscreen, Would i need a special software on my deck to control a computer? well if my deck wouldnt work as a stand alone screen, would my other option work with a 10 inch touch monitor, then have my deck too?

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The headunits coming out now are so advanced that adding a PC to your car doesn't gain you that much. You get WiFi connectivity, and that's about it.

in my case... Tmo 3G connectivity and a massive touch screen.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Lol well my deck is a 600 dollar deck, I just want to try something different and I think it would be cool to have the internet option and I want to be able to control my itunes, and have my deck for sound control dvd/cd player, navi, Ok so what kind of input would i need on my deck, would a usb not work as a input? well I was hoping the deck would work for awhile till I could get a touchscreen, Would i need a special software on my deck to control a computer? well if my deck wouldnt work as a stand alone screen, would my other option work with a 10 inch touch monitor, then have my deck too?

there is no software for your deck to control the pc.... you can run a touch screen.. AND a deck.. and you can run audio and video back and forth between the two... but NOT control....

You can control sound from the pc with the deck.. since you are running sound as in native imput... but there is no native outsourced touch screen input/output for the headunit...

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just bought a laptop off ebay with a cracked screen for super cheap... i think i paid $75 cause it was missing some keys and the screen has a crack in the lower right and whatever holds the screen up so it dont lay flat doesnt work.... and its a bad ass dual core 80 gig pc...

But yea... i use it.. like.. NEVER... lol... its worth a million points at car shows.. and its great on road trips.. but.. other than that......

HMFDZ28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about the Motorola MW810 for my truck. Its one of the PC we use at work. Its hard to justify putting it in though. Though it is a sick touchscreen 12V system that can even be setup with an Ignition turn on. Slightly pricey though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n