22s with 27 inch faces??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trilla_one

Reaction score
I recently met a local guy with a pickup that had aftermarket chrome 22s (285/45/22), but the rim faces covered most of the tire sidewalls. Essentially it was a 22 inch rim with the visible part of the wheels expanding to 27 inches to cover the tires for a bigger rim illusion. I used to see him driving around town and always assumed he had big rims. I had no idea it was an illusion until I met him lol.

He said that's how the wheels were made but he forgot the name so I couldn't look them up. He also said he had zero problems. I couldn't find anything else even close. If there were hubcap type options for something like this it would be amazing! I know some might think it's weird, crazy and possibly unsafe, but I disagree. I think it's an amazing and cheaper option for a wheel upgrade. You get the visual appeal of 26s/28s without sacrificing ride comfort or having to buy new wheels and tires. I assume this would work for 20s as well.

If anyone has seen anything like this before please let me know. I tried looking them up online but couldn't find anything even close.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll throw out the first pessimistic response.....

While I think it's an interesting idea, I see many downsides to this option. (Without a pic, I can only speculate)
1. You will be having metal outside the rubber which could be prone to curb rash
2. The additional "rim" may be more susceptible to dents, dings, damage from pot holes, or otherwise, when tire squish comes into play
3. Wouldn't it look funky? Like a big disk outside the rubber? Seems odd to me, but I'm old school.

Post some pics if you have them. Maybe it will make more sense then.

BigPac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i remember them from the mid 2000" seen them in a old trucking mag.. just google lexani 27"

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
That’s really clever. I’m not into the DUB scene but that is an engineering moment of genius.

OP
OP
Trilla_one

Trilla_one

Reaction score
i remember them from the mid 2000" seen them in a old trucking mag.. just google lexani 27"

Looks like they've been discontinued for awhile and no other manufacturers offered anything similar. Probably had alot of issues

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar