thinking of buying an 09 yukon xl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chughart

Reaction score
hey guys im sort of new here but ive been lurking for a while. anyways i have an 02 tahoe lt (138k on odometer) and i have a chance to buy a 09 yukon xl slt with 202k miles on it but it has a fairly new (replaced within a year) engine and transmission (jasper brand) its in pretty good condition and i can get it for 6500$. it has a 5.3l flex fuel 6l80e and it has the 3.42 gears (GU6 G80 rpo codes).

i dont know much about this body style but a little context, i have a 22ft travel trailer that i tow with my tahoe and i feel the yukon will be a better option for pulling it but what should i be concerned about when buying this thing? the only reason im actively considering buying it is the new(ish) engine and transmission.

any help would be great. thanks guys!

Reaction score
According to the 2009 Brochure: The trailer weight is 5400 2WD and 5700 4WD. If that Tahoe has the Heavy Duty Tow Package those numbers move to 8,400 and 8200.

So it's going to depend on your needs / if this Tahoe is optioned with the Tow Package.

dpollak81

Reaction score
yeah double check the RPO codes and if it has the max trailer package. I thought the trailer g package came with the 3.73 gears but that might have just been the trucks. I will say the long wheelbase of the XL tows much better stability wise than the regular Tahoe. Lot less tail wagging the dog…

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys im sort of new here but ive been lurking for a while. anyways i have an 02 tahoe lt (138k on odometer) and i have a chance to buy a 09 yukon xl slt with 202k miles on it but it has a fairly new (replaced within a year) engine and transmission (jasper brand) its in pretty good condition and i can get it for 6500$. it has a 5.3l flex fuel 6l80e and it has the 3.42 gears (GU6 G80 rpo codes).

i dont know much about this body style but a little context, i have a 22ft travel trailer that i tow with my tahoe and i feel the yukon will be a better option for pulling it but what should i be concerned about when buying this thing? the only reason im actively considering buying it is the new(ish) engine and transmission.

any help would be great. thanks guys!
If the 2009s have 3.42s (GU6) they are set up for maximum towing, 7,900 pounds. There was no intermediate tow rating that year, meaning they didn't come with 3.42s and without the HD cooling systems (K5L, KNP, KC4), they either had it all or they didn't.

The front suspensions on these wear out at around 160K so if it has not been done, consider that.

It will tow the little TT like it's not even back there until you head into the mountains but then you can shift down to 4th which is 3.94:1 or 3rd which is 5.23:1.

Get it tuned by BlackBear, not so much for performance but for improved transmission performance and to turn off AFM if you so desire.

Engine should be an LC9, the FlexFuel 5.3 but it could have the L76 6.0 motor. I don't think that version came with the LY5.

Does it have the trailer brake controller (JL1) on the left knee bolster? I won't buy one without it!

I've got the same thing so ask away if you have any more questions about it.

OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
What rpo codes am I looking for exactly? I did some searching and according to google ‍♂️ It says it can tow 8100 but we all know how good google is lol also I don’t see a trans cooler and there isn’t a brake controller from the factory (I have a Reese controller from my Tahoe)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What rpo codes am I looking for exactly? I did some searching and according to google ‍♂️ It says it can tow 8100 but we all know how good google is lol also I don’t see a trans cooler and there isn’t a brake controller from the factory (I have a Reese controller from my Tahoe)
The RPO codes are all in my previous response. 8,100 pounds is for a RWD truck equipped for maximum towing.

OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
Oh my bad I didn’t even see them. Thanks I will check them out in a little while. But if it doesn’t have those codes what’s the towing capacity? Is it still 7900? I’m going to install a trucool 40k if that means anything

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh my bad I didn’t even see them. Thanks I will check them out in a little while. But if it doesn’t have those codes what’s the towing capacity? Is it still 7900? I’m going to install a trucool 40k if that means anything

No, if it doesn't have K5L it will have 3.08 gears and a tow rating of 5,100 pounds. This only applies to 2009, which was an intermediate year.

There's no need to add the Tru-Cool unless you are towing through Death Valley in the summer or regularly through the mountains. If you place it too high, it will heat up the radiator and degrade the AC system.

Attachments

• Brochure - 2009 GMC Yukon and Yukon XL.pdf
    801.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
There’s the rpo sticker in the glove box. It has gu6 and g80 but I do not see the k codes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts